That time of year again, folks...NAMM approacheth!

daddymack

• Members

If you get a chance to check out LR Baggs new Synapse pa speaker it would be great it looks interesting also if Mono the bag people are there can you ask when the Vertigo will get updated to have the large pocket on the back a la the M80 to stow the straps, that's all I am waiting for to pull the trigger.

• Members

Daddymack, you're just a lucky so and so :)

I'm curious about the Yorkville EXM70, specifically to see if it would work in very small restaurants. There's plenty of info on them, but they are not shipping yet, so I don't know what they sound like http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/ex...product/exm70/

I am also looking for a mixer even smaller than my Allen & Heath Zed10FX. I picked up a small Yamaha mixer that almost works, but it has a wall wart, and is a tad short of channels. The Allen & Heath Zed 6FX looks promising, and it has an internal power supply - yippee! However again, they aren't shipping yet, at least not in my parts https://www.long-mcquade.com/67342/P...ixer-w--FX.htm

As well, if there are any cool or new tablet holders, that would be interesting - IIRC I asked about that last year... I'm still just using the top of the piano.

Thanks, and have fun.

• Moderators

Well, I posted a number oftablet holders last year....:wave: if I see anything really innovative, I will check into it.

Unfortunately, the show floor at NAMM is so loud that I won't be able to really tell you what anything sounds like :( [and my ears will be ringing for several days afterwards, even with plugs in.]

I will be looking at A&H, Mackie and Yamaha 'portable' mixers [for me, but I'll look for you, too] and whatever else I find on my 'Hall E crawl'.

The wall wart thing is not a deal killer for me [my little Yamaha works fine], but I will take note of your preference.

I will also be looking once again at near-field and personal monitors [i'm still not 100% on IEMs]. How many channels are you looking for? I'm looking for at least 6 XLR inputs now, up from the 4 I have on the Yammie [i am using 1/4" transformer/adapters currently to hit 6 mic ins, which works okay, but is not ideal [having two very long and heavy 'dongles' hanging off the back].

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

so much stuff here...some interesting innovations, new products, and of course the endless rows of little pdeal makers, guitar builders, amp builders drums...horns...and deafening...avoiding the far end of hall D...for drums...I wore my ear valves this year, thankfully...forgot them last year...

• Members

Yep, I recall you posting about the holders. Just poking fun of myself for moving at the speed of light, or maybe the speed of laziness. Hey, I've got a buddy down there, have you seen him :) Actually you might have; he's a bass player and a gear nut. Plays a mean four and five string bass, as well as a great flute player.

• Moderators

Let me just say this was perhaps the most 'meh' NAMM I've been to over the last 20+ years. So many people tying to reinvent the wheel as it were. Totally underwhelmed by 99% of what I saw. On the plus side, Stomplight [remember them from last year?] are finally ready to ship their first production run!

• Members

I know a drummer that carries his own lights ( a few pars and some string lights). At first I thought it was excessive, but there were gigs where he would have been in darkness if he hadn't brought his lights. Who knows, maybe the Stomplight will become popular with drummers and other back line folks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

sadly, no, I did not...it was truly a waste of time to try to do any kind of audio comparison at the show, the noise floor was easily over 90dB on the main level. Couldn't really hear anything well, had to keep my earvalves in 95% of the time.

Imagine every boutique amp, guitar, bass, keyboard and pedal builder, plus the big boys, [not the Gibsons and Fenders...they go upstairs], but Marshall, Orange, Vox, et al. all having to have amps running on 9 simultaneously in a cavernous building...then every percussion manufacturer having multiple kits of varying size and composition, all being pounded on mercilessly...last year, even with foam plugs in, my ears rang for weeks.

I may take next year off only because I was so disappointed this year.

Archived