Trying to reason...

pogo97

• Members

I'm fine, thanks for caring. Phone/DSL just got back on.

I dropped the storm awnings, put the storm panels up, loaded up on water, loaded up on food, loaded up on gas for the generator, and rode it out. Power stayed on (thankfully) except for a few blinks, and cell phone stayed on. Land line/DSL went out about midnight.

This morning there were tree limbs down (a couple of huge ones) and plenty of small branches joined the party. We worked from 8AM to about 4:30 cleaning up with axe, saws, shears and elbow grease.

The worst part for me was we have 3 cancelled gigs. I was really looking forward to them too. Three good venues for us. Oh well, things could have been worse.

The best part is we are safe and sound. That's priceless.

They sensationalize these things on TV (that's what TV does). They aren't as bad as the news pretends (at least in the US - some of the islands really take it hard).

IF you live in a well constructed house, IF you live on high ground, and IF you prepare properly, the chances of surviving are excellent. There is always an odd chance of a twister, but other than Hurricane Andrew many years ago, they are rare.

I live on high ground, in a well constructed house, and have weathered these things since 1960, so I know how to prepare. They are more of just a giant PITA to me. This one wasn't too bad because we didn't lose power.

I remember when I was on the road many years ago, in a Blizzard with hurricane force winds in Michigan. Hurricanes are a piece of cake in comparison. At least you don't freeze if the power goes off.

And instead of gigging tonight, I'm typing on the Internet. Can't complain, I'm happy I'm here to type. Besides I sold 4 Band-in-a-Box fake disks today, so at least some money came in.

Tomorrow, I'll be helping others clean up who weren't as lucky, so I may not stop in to say Hi.

Notes

• Members

**At least you don't freeze if the power goes off.**

Yeah. I'm squeamish about poisonous snakes when I go to Florida. We don't have them here.

But if you go out unprepared (and/or drunk) in the winter, you can die before you get home. We just accept that.

• Members

Thanks y'all. We have all 4 North American poisonous snakes here, but we learn how to avoid them (or else). The only one that I'm wary of is the cottonmouth, and I know to be extra careful. --- we also have the wild animal that kills more humans each year than snakes, spiders, sharks, bears, lions, tigers, 'gators, crocs, and every other wild animal on earth combined, the mosquito.

• Moderators

Notes... I'm relieved you and Leilani rode it out okay, but most of Florida dodged the bullet.

I'll take our infrequent earthquakes [and the potential tsunamis] over hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, floods, ice storms...you name it.

I look at flood devastation and shake my head...'and those people think earthquakes every 20 or so

years are scary? Y'all [east of the Rockies] seem to get flooded a couple times a year!! Build some flood control channels fer pete's sake!!! :wave:

• Members

Ice storms. I was in the UP of Michigan and went through a mild one. I can't imagine a severe one's hardships.

And Daddymack, I never understood why people build houses in flood prone areas. For example, we have a river valley that floods every so many years, so why not build your house uphill? We have barrier islands off the coast of Florida that get washed over during Hurricane Storm Surges, so why build there?

Perhaps I'm missing something.

• Moderators

Notes, since you are an Engineer by training:

[cheap land values]+[ignorant buyers]=[disaster relief] :wave:

I was originally appalled when I moved to LA that all the rivers and major creeks/streams were converted to concrete troughs inside the city [remember the movie 'Them'? or the race scene in 'Grease'? That is the LA River...] But when we have an El Nino [and we are wayyy overdue] winter, those troughs fill up, and we don't need flood insurance. Why this approach is not used in other flood prone areas is ridiculous.

It is Ugly. It is Expensive. Blah blah blah...not as expensive as dealing with massive flooding YEARLY...not as ugly as those pictures of people being plucked off their roofs...

• Members

Daddymack, I took music and electronics in school. Because they said you need something to "fall back on".

Other than a couple of years in the phone company and a couple of years as a CATV engineer, I've made my living playing music all my life.

I tried both jobs out while seeing what it is to be normal - pressures from society and family. You know, "You can't be a musician, you have to get a trade --or-- make something of yourself --or-- be a productive member of society." What I found was that normal is overrated ;)

My father was the son of immigrants, born in a slum, and got out of that to make a high proletariat living with a trade. He was a musician but didn't gig (violin, trumpet, uke, organ). So the "get a trade" pressure was meant well, but for me was inappropriate.

Even while doing those jobs, I gigged on the weekends, so I never really gave it up.

The Cable TV job was gravy. Fly out Monday night, work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and fly back Thursday night for gigging on the weekend. But they laid off up to 15 years and I only had a few so I was in the first wave to go.

I probably wouldn't have quit that job because the pay was great, I had a company car, T&E expenses, and other bennies. But I'm glad they did lay me off, as I'm back to being happy again. The CATV job was very stressful - lots of pressure to do miracles in half the time needed.

I later found out, nobody ever retired from that company. They replaced people before they got vested. And they were a national company, the leader in supplying gear to local CATV companies. They ended up getting purchased by another company, and I hope they manage their employees better.

Anyway, playing music is better than being a wage slave to some faceless corporation. I've managed to buy a house, one lot away from the east coast of the mainland of Florida - and pay off the mortgage. East of that is a lagoon and then a thin barrier island. I buy new cars, but Dodge or equivalent instead of Benz. I take vacations every year and have been to Europe, Asia, Africa, North & Central America, 49 US States and many Caribbean islands..

I'm of retirement age but have no plans to retire. Artists don't retire, they work until they die. I just turn down gigs I don't want to do, and there are very few gigs I don't want to do. And I don't really turn them down, I just quote a very high price.

Notes

Archived