Layla

Gearo998

• Moderators

Intro, be more assertive on the 'riff' notes, less stress on the fill chord tones.

Tempo is inconsistent...take your time, you are rushing, then slowing down...your first intro bar is exactly right, but then you immediately speed up, losing the feel. The 'Unplugged' version is slow, methodical, contemplative. You seem to be trying to get to the Dominoes version tempo...

My suggestion...do you have a drum machine or metronome available? Practice with something that will hold your tempo consistent and not cutting/rushing beats. This will also help you with the vocal phrasing when you are not jumping on lines trying to keep up with the inconsistent tempo.

• Members

Nice voice. Having said that, best to put your flame suit on...

Some of the chords are wrong and/or flubbed. Transitions are awkward. Guitar is slightly out of tune, or your intonation is slightly off (that won't bother most people, I'm often out of tune live, but a recording is different). Tempo is too fast, unless everyone's "fourth set" drunk. Again, nice voice.

I say all this because Layla is one of those songs that everyone knows. They will actually notice if it's not done right - or at least close to right. There are many songs where folks will be forgiving, or often absolutely clueless - I just don't know if this is one.

Kudos for posting a work in progress, that takes guts, and guts probably come in handy with the cold calls.

Keep at 'er.

Archived