What about fans?

• Members

No... not the drunken tipping kind... the appliance that moves are and keeps us Florida deck musicians alive throughout the sultry summer months. I've always used a cheapie oscillating fan to make it through these hot times.

What about you guys? Is there anything special out there that you've been using? Always curious.

Oh yeah... hello to all... my first post here. Started working last year as a solo. Just as interesting as I remember it being all those years back. Some things have changed (social media is convenient) but much is still the same (seems the venues still like to double book!).

Let me know about your fan!!!

• Members

Welcome aboard FF. Whereabouts in Fla are you?

Re fans if the venue has one then I will purloin one to point in my direction but to be honest I have enough to carry if they don't so I just take a change of shirt and suffer.

• Moderators

I used to carry a small 'boxer' fan [from an ancient computer] that actually moved just enough air, when aimed correctly, to relieve some discomfort, and was extremely quiet. Lost it in the last move, but it is buried somewhere in my garage.

• Members

I play a weekly gig on a deck over salt water in a marina. It's once a week, for 7 months (not in the rainy season) and next October will start our 9th year.

We are a duo and have to of those 'squirrel cage" fans.

Like This:

31ZqTfbvVsL.jpg

They are small. That makes it easy to schlep. And they put out a lot of air.

Works for us.

Notes

• Members
I used to carry a small 'boxer' fan [from an ancient computer] that actually moved just enough air' date=' when aimed correctly, to relieve some discomfort, and was extremely quiet. Lost it in the last move, but it is buried somewhere in my garage.[/quote']

We would like a tour of your garage, bet there is some good stuff. smiley-wink

• Moderators

Well, there are a few things in there that I would consider valuable, but the greatest treasures aren't things...

The garage really is like Fibber McGee's closet...enter at your own risk. Mainly my need modifcation/repair or never going to use amps [hybrids and solid state], plus my 'weekly gig rig'. The rest is the result of combining a three bedroom home, a two bedroom apartment and a five bedroom home into one structure.

• Members

We just got 3 more outdoor gigs this month. Played one last Friday and they liked us.

Fortunately they are from 6-9 PM, unfortunately that's when the mosquitoes come out. We'll need the fans to blow them away, or citronella candles.

And people think it's easy being a musician :) (Easy as fishin' you can be a musician)

Notes

• Members

Most of my solo gigs are in air conditioned hotels, so not really any need for a fan. On my band gigs, I try to catch some of the drummer's fans. Works okay as long as they've had a shower!

Recently scored a twice a month band gig in a small room with plate glass windows, beside and behind the band. Probably gonna need a fan for that very soon, and there's no room for the typical box fan. The drummer's fan won't help either.

Perfect time for this thread FF - and welcome to the forum.

• Members

FF, I was in Panama City about six years ago, just before the big oil pipe leak. Absolutely loved the vibe. In fact tried to go back and spend the winter there the following year but ... well life got in the way.

Again welcome to the forum and remember if in doubt post something.

• Members

vornado, hazza big red V, in teh llologo... model 533, its the small one... im thinking i gave $40 dollars at lowes...

doesnt oscillate, no gears to make noise or wear out... its a different design and it does move a lot of air, most importantly, quietly... the face is about 10" in diameter and its about 10" tall, 7" deep. guitar gigs? no one will ever hear it.. gong gigs? if i can help it, i wont cause unintentional sounds, ( easily perceived by my own capacity ) so the power supply will need to be remotely switched off for more subtle passages or when low lying fog is required...

Archived