(Mike) Stand and Deliver

steve mac

• Members

Actually I am glad you asked. I love my Hercules Guitar stand (holds 3 guitars and folds up nice and small. Built VERY Strong. I use it every gig!). For my mic stand I really love my KM mic stands. Well machined, pro gear. I don't see any wear on them after several years of gigs. Yes, there are Atlas stands and On-Stage..none of them are awful from my experience. I just prefer KM and and that Hercules 3 guitar stand,..makes me smile at every gig.

• Members

Instead of booms I'm switching over to these for the front vocal mics:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-stands-posi-lok-mini-boom-arm

nothing sticking out on the audience side for some drunk to bash into and take the talent's teeth out :) .

I've also been meaning to pick one of these up for the occasional non-electrified instrument:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-stands-msa-9508-posi-lok-side-mount-boom-arm

• Moderators

I'll go with K&M boom arm also; I have been through a number of booms [and goosenecks...which I actually prefer for most applications...I have 2 now] and my last K&M [a 211?] held up well for many years [it met an unkind end at the hands of a drummer I loaned it to :cry:]. Currently I use an On-Stage boom arm, which I chose because it telescopes down to a nice short arm or out to a good length, much like the K&M, but for about half the price, IIRC. I have had it for only about three years, so longevity is yet to be proven but it seems solid enough, so I would say it is a viable choice. On Stage and Pro-line also make decent boom arms.

• Moderators
I have a friend who's using an angled stand something like this one. Sure looks better than a boom stand:

hercules_angle1.jpg?resize=300%2C300

The issue I have with this type of stand is the space it takes on stage. It can be angled or upright, though, and in that sense, I like the flexibilty, but too often I find there isn't enough available floor to accommodate the tilt. One of my [many] nephews loves these [he let me use one of his a while back], and for large stages, I think they have a neat appearance, but for a soloist tucked into a tight corner, the extra half meter isn't there.

• Members

Hi George, thanks for your input, by coincidence I have a Hercules Guitar stand on order should be here next week. I chose it because I have two leads coming out of my guitar and as a result it doesn't sit right on an ordinary stand but the Hercules looks just the job. Them KM stands do look the business will definitely check them out. DaddyMac, I can't get my head around how your suggestion works and can't find any decent vids or even images of anyone using one. Is it like an upright stand that somehow stretches towards you and if so wouldn't the feet get in the way of pedals and can you use it when seated and playing. I read the reviews and most are enthusiastic but most users don't seem to be guitarists, don't suppose you have a pic of your mate using it, I am sure it's great but just can't imagine it and of cours am unable to try before I buy.

• Moderators
DaddyMac, I can't get my head around how your suggestion works and can't find any decent vids or even images of anyone using one. Is it like an upright stand that somehow stretches towards you and if so wouldn't the feet get in the way of pedals and can you use it when seated and playing. I read the reviews and most are enthusiastic but most users don't seem to be guitarists, don't suppose you have a pic of your mate using it, I am sure it's great but just can't imagine it and of cours am unable to try before I buy.
Well actually it was Pogo's post...but they'd work fine with a pedalboard because there is plenty of room between the center foot and the end of the tilt range. My nephew uses them mainly for karaoke (:rolleyes2:) and for presentations, he has a business setting up for presentations etc., and then offers a post=party deal with him DJ-ing and having karaoke. When I used the stand (I call it the 'dinosaur foot') I had plenty of room but it was obvious to me that it was not going to work for my typical solo gig, where I am usually space challenged, especially with the big footprint of the Fishstick's tripod; I use round base stands.

• Members

I love the idea of a tilted stand...but the space is not always there, FOR SURE. And storing it in your car can be a hassle. I love bringing one kinda tool and it works in EVERY Venue. Its the one stability in a career of very dynamic situations,..so I love my K&M gear. And my Hercules 3 guitar stand.

• Moderators

Many here have their iPad/tablet mounted to the mic stands as well; I have my 'water bottle' holder on mine and a little clipboard and a mini lamp...

Headset mics are a mixed bag though...you need to have great breath control, great dynamic insight, and remember to turn it off when you go on break...:eatdrink013:

then there is the whole battery pack thing...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
I'll go with K&M boom arm also; I have been through a number of booms [and goosenecks...which I actually prefer for most applications...I have 2 now] and my last K&M [a 211?] held up well for many years [it met an unkind end at the hands of a drummer I loaned it to :cry:]. Currently I use an On-Stage boom arm, which I chose because it telescopes down to a nice short arm or out to a good length, much like the K&M, but for about half the price, IIRC. I have had it for only about three years, so longevity is yet to be proven but it seems solid enough, so I would say it is a viable choice. On Stage and Pro-line also make decent boom arms.

K&M makes great mics stands. I have many and they have been with me for a long time. When it comes time to replace my mic stands i will once again look at the K&M stuff.

Beyer Dynamic had mic stands and K&M might make them for Beyer.

• Members

The K&M 210/90 is a tripod base stand, with a two-piece adjustable boom. It has two segments of height adjustment, and is about one meter tall when stored. The boom has a "T" adjustment (tension knob), which is easy to lock into place. I believe it is the industry standard against which other performance boom stands are compared. Full replacement parts are available, too, should something wear or get lost. Mark C.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

#22 12-30-2014, 06:38 PM Like an idiot I ignored the sage advice here (to be fair I don't usually) and over Christmas I visited a big city music store and found they stocked Hurcules Mike stands but not K&M which appears to be the most recommended here. So having just bought a Hercules guitar stand which is marvelous, I jumped in with both feet and bought the Herc Mike stand. Now I love the sturdy feel of the thing and it's general robustness, I also love the height adjustment clutch which is a squeeze handle. But and its a huge one, I like to extend the boom to its maximum as that way with my long sight (damn you old age) I can read my ipad easier, and with my quite heavy TC Helicon mike on it, no matter how tight I make it, it has the dreaded droop. It's simply too far to take back so I am stuck with it for the time being. I promise not to ignore y'all advice again. Bugger.

• Members

I prefer a boom mic stgand because it often sits beyond a keyboard and has to reach over it but I found the onstage boom would sag although the stand itself is fine. Not sure of the make but I got a replacement boom from the local Sam Ash. The only difference I can see is that the clamp at pivot point has three little dimples in it on either side that help it grip the rubber between the parts. It is very solid and does not drop at all, even on full extension.

• Members
#22 12-30-2014, 06:38 PM

But and its a huge one, I like to extend the boom to its maximum as that way with my long sight (damn you old age) I can read my ipad easier, and with my quite heavy TC Helicon mike on it, no matter how tight I make it, it has the dreaded droop. It's simply too far to take back so I am stuck with it for the time being. I promise not to ignore y'all advice again. Bugger.

Can you add an extra counterweight to the boom? And/or use something like a zip-tie to seize the hinge?

-D44

• Members

I duct tapped a piece of lead to the end of my last cheap boom and it looked awful, I was hoping, having purchased what I thought was a decent one those days where over. I will look at "jamming it" or perhaps purchase a lighter mike.

Archived