Korg D1600MkII.....any good?

Synthoid

• Members

I'm narrowing down the search for a good digital recorder. The Korg D1600MKII comes recommended by a few people I've talked with....thought I'd ask the forum.

Pros & Cons, and best price? Lowest I've seen is $1399. Thanks...

• Members

Touch screen is *huge*. I can't stress enough how much easier it makes the Korg units. I've got an older D16 and it is so easy to navigate because of the Touch Screen. That is now a must-have on my HD recorder features list. The D1600mkII is the last in the line of the D-series recorders and is a great unit. 40GB hard drive, built-in burner, 8 XLR inputs with phantom power, etc. The only real limitation is if you want to record in 24-bit you're restricted to 4-simultaneous recording channels and 8-simultaneous playback channels. If you record in 16-bit you can record 8 simultaneously and playback 16. You should be able to find one new for about $1200 and used for under $800.

• Members

I like mine.

I agree it is very easy to use, and very intuitive..

I paid 1350 at Sam Ash... which was 50 off their list..

Woodwinds and brass winds had one for $ 800 which was used..

shrugs...

I have seen some "seconds" on line for around that price too??

• Members

Guitar player in my band was too...

He is the one who did most of the research... he said it pretty much comes down to the Korg,or a yamaha unit, but that the botttom line was that the Korg was much easier to use. He bought one, and then when he moved out ofstate, I bought one too.

• Members

Originally posted by Synthoid

Pianoman......where are they selling for $1200? Lowest I've seen online is $1399.

I've never ordered anything from these guys but they're advertising these as new, not b-stock units:

http://store.yahoo.com/humbucker/kord1dighard.html

Edit: After looking at it further I realize this is a V40 and not an mkII model. Other than color, I'm not sure what the difference is. V40 was the 40G HD update to the original D1600. I'm not sure what the mkII added.

• Members

The new version has better software and USB compatibility. I've seen them bundled with a mike, cables, and studio headphones for $1399.

I think people on other forums said the older version was going for as low as $1000 new? That would be a good price. I wish there were some serious Korg discounters. I've seen Yamaha and Alesis gear go for really low prices, but not Korg.

• Members

Originally posted by BrokenRomeo

I got the 24 track Tascam 2488...it doesn't have the touch screen, but has unbeatable specs and features for the price...

Why would anyone prefer a touch screen over dedicated physical buttons? Many or most of the features for which the Korg uses touch screen menus, are available as actual buttons on the Tascam. At a quick count, the Tascam has more than twice the number of physical buttons as the Korg.

-- Ronald.

Archived