yamaha SO3

Tanker

• Members

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Yamaha S03 as a first synth. Your job is to tell me anything (good/bad) about this synth to help me sway me towards buying it or getting something else so other suggestions would help as well...

Is it capable of playing some decent synth leads? I'm trying to stay under 700.

• Members

Originally posted by Tanker

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Yamaha S03 as a first synth. Your job is to tell me anything (good/bad) about this synth to help me sway me towards buying it or getting something else so other suggestions would help as well...

Is it capable of playing some decent synth leads? I'm trying to stay under 700.

Find a Roland RS-5 or used XP30 instead.

• Members

http://www.rolandus.com/products/comparisson_charts/comparison_keybds2.asp

The RS-50 lacks any kind of expandability and a keyboard with aftertouch. The XP30 has twice as many sounds.

I am still waiting for a true XP30 replacement from Roland - the newer RS series don't come close. In the meantime, my XP30 isn't going anywhere.

I'm sure everyone here would agree when I say the Alesis QS series synths are very outdated by today's standards and the sounds are very unimpressive.

• Members

Well, S03 has a keyboard that feels like two pounds of ground meat under your fingers... The board of QS6.1 is mucho better... I agree with the sounds though... I play the blues, and it took me about two years to get the organ sounds just right...

• Members

S 03 is a toy compared to xp-30

or you can get used xp 50 for 500$(less sounds ,yet expendable,sequencer and a D drive) or xp 60 for 700$(xo 80 with 61 keys).those have better modulation action(xp 30 had old style J stick).

• Members

The S03 has a street (or internet) price of about $400, so it's cheaper than your budget. I'd like to know if there's a S03 (equiv) "rackmount version" sans keyboard, as a decent MIDI keyboard is not expensive (and I have some lying around.)

---Mike

• Members

Originally posted by MBro2

The S03 has a street (or internet) price of about $400, so it's cheaper than your budget. I'd like to know if there's a S03 (equiv) "rackmount version" sans keyboard, as a decent MIDI keyboard is not expensive (and I have some lying around.)

---Mike

Try MU series racks(80,90R,100R) etc.they also have an A/D input where you can mix analog signals with internal efx.

but all entry level sound like S-03.

eg.

http://techshop.ch/p273.html

you can even get trinity rack for 500$,jv 1080 for 350 $.why do you want to mess with S-03 with is not a pro gear?

for controller Roland A30(used 200$),33(new)(400$),A 80 and 90(piano keys-700$ to 1500$)

or some fatar(generally heavy) could help.they range from 200$ to 1000$

Archived