Delta 44 & Windows 98

piano39

• Members

I started a thread a couple weeks ago. At that time, I was considering buying a Delta 44 soundcard to use along side my SB Live! soundcard. A bunch of you KSS forumites responded that you ran both cards in your system.

Well, I bought the Delta 44. To make a long story short....

My PC is a PIII running Windows 98 and Sonar V2.0. My SB Live card had WDM drivers. The drivers that M-audio supplies for Win 98 are not WDM. Result- I get worse latency with my Delta than with my SB Live.

M-audio supplies WDM drivers for Windows 2000 and XP. When I read their support logs, i wonder if these same WDM drivers will work on Windows 98 systems, but they are not willing to guarantee it.

Here's my question- Anybody out there using a Delta soundcard on a Windows 98 PC with M-Audio's WDM Drivers?

• Members

I run 98, Delta66, P3. I find I can't use Logic for anything - the midi timing is completely useless (it's epileptic) and recording audio is a complete waste of time (sounds like ripping leather). I can transfer wav files from my hd recorder and play those back, and download mp3's easily enough, but I can't record {censored} through the Delta 66.

For a long time I had a SB Live Platinum installed at the same time as the D66. I disabled the SB and later removed it altogether, but neither of those changes made any difference. I think the SB and the Delta can live togehter peacefully (aside from IRQ problems) - the problem lies in older motherboards and their relationships with audio software and the Delta.

In reality this is all more conspriacy by Microsoft to convince you to upgrade your otherwise ok operating system. This has been a paid advertisement.

• Members

I used to use 98 until about a year ago. I can't even remember the tweaks or web pages to help you but I was about to use both cards (or younger sibling Audiophile Delta card) with good latency.

Only that the step from 98 to W2K or XP has been so rewarding and almost seemless that I forgot I had problems like that. I still have problems yes, but it seems like problems due the OS has been almost muted. Thus less problems and more tunage.

I'm not trying to advertise MS but rather eleviate the frustration you may have. It is a solid step to either systems. Not what you want to hear but if you are tired of going in circles; it's time to upgrade.

• Members

Like many others on this thread, I think you should try Windows 2000 or Windows XP (and for Windows XP there's the www.musicxp.net optimization web site)

The reason for this is that Microsoft doesn't support 98 anymore, and neither do software editors nor hardware manufacturers (with the exception to avid/digidesign who are used to sell you some free products for obsolete operatings systems only)

• Members

You guys are all convincing me that I need to upgrade to XP or 2000, but I can't afford this right now.

So back to my original question:

Anybody out there using a Delta soundcard on a Windows 98 PC with M-Audio's WDM Drivers?

Thankx,

MIBRO

• Members

Originally posted by piano39

You guys are all convincing me that I need to upgrade to XP or 2000, but I can't afford this right now.

So back to my original question:

Anybody out there using a Delta soundcard on a Windows 98 PC with M-Audio's WDM Drivers?

Thankx,

MIBRO

If I'm not mistaken, even Sonar 2.0 doesn't like 98.

Are you running 98 or 98SE?

If you have 98SE, you should upgrade Sonar 2.0 to 2.2 and use the Delta ASIO drivers instead.

• Members

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that there was no such thing as a WDM driver for windows 98 (someone correct me if that's not true). WDM was introduced with win2k. More than likely you are using the directx or mme drivers.

See if you can get the ASIO drivers for the delta. Those should work with 98; you may have to get rid of the other card, though, because I think ASIO doesn't like to have two different cards running.

You'll also need the Sonar 2.2 update, where they added ASIO support.

And then upgrade to XP as soon as you can afford to. It really is SO much better.

• Members

Originally posted by piano39

Thanks for the comments

FYI...I've been running WDM drivers on my Sindows 98/SB Live card for about two years now. No problems with that setup, although i only get about 30ms latency.

98 does not have a full implementation of the WDM driver spec. Hence the high latency values.

Archived