Help Me Decide What Keyboard to Get..

drowse

• Members

Alright I need some help deciding what direction I wanna take my gear.. I'm thinking of making a big purchase here.. and selling some stuff... but I want some opinions first..

What I have now:

Korg Karma

Alesis QS 8.1*

Korg MS-2000R*

Roland Synth-AX1

I am thinking about selling the MS-2000R and the QS8.1 and upgrading to a MS-2000B.. and perhaps going with a Fantom or Triton (seems redundant with the Karma) or other higher-end keyboard..

I'm not sure how much I wanna spend right now.. perhaps no more than $2500-3000.. (before selling the old stuff)

Anyone's input will be appreciated.. thanks!

• Members

Sell the Alesis and the Karma; get a Fantom or something similar, or a Triton if you really want. Also, have a look at a Motif (or if you have the cash, the ES).

BTW, isn't the AX-1 a keytar? I'd sell that, too! :D

I could be mistaken, though. :o

• Members

Try the "big three" workstations--Triton, Motif and Fantom. Add the Kurzweil to the mix if you have more time. It's best to find a store with all of them hooked to the same sound system, or take your own headphones for the "audition."

The Triton Extreme was just reviewed by Keyboard and given two thumbs up. :cool:

• Members

sell your current gear, and buy whatever workstation has the most adjectives in the title. this includes, but is not limited to: "ultra," "eXtreme," "pro," "mega," and "master." if two keyboards are tied in this category, next consider how many lights they have (blue LEDs are a lot cooler than red ones, as such, they count for 1.5 times a normal light). color also plays a relatively important role: you must be sure to coordinate with the rest of your gear. if you've got a purple box (like an evolver), you most definitely should not pick up a yellow waldorf rack, as the colors are opposites and should not be mixed at all costs. it's helpful to bring a woman along for these reasons (as well as to get the attention of a salesman).

;)

• Members

"upgrade" to ms2000b? its the same synth engine. same everything. only painted a different color, XLR for vocoder mic, and different presets..

i say keep what you have.. maybe sell your Karma and QS8.1 and get one of those fancy romplers you mentioned and a nord modular G2x ;)

set for life.

• Members

I'm not too sure what I wanna do at this point.. I wanna have two workstation-type keyboards and an analog modulator... Powermac G5 would be excellent... but I dont see that being an integral part of a gigging setup

I'm rather unsure if moving up from the Alesis would be all that great.. I've still hardly managed to figure out much MIDI stuff with the Karma.. so confusing..

The Synth-Ax1 was cheap and is merely for looks, I swear.. People like seeing someone playing it on stage..

Maybe I could get rid of the MS-2000R and get an Andromeda.. hmm.. thats not a bad idea..

• Members

Originally posted by drowse

Maybe I could get rid of the MS-2000R and get an Andromeda.. hmm.. thats not a bad idea..

have a chance to play and program the andromeda before you take the plunge. personally i dont like the sound or the user interface of the A6.

Archived