Korg Electribe EMX-1 Tube Changing

• Members

Originally posted by Spineshank102

Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to change them out to the same type of tube. Are they the same as amplifier tubes as to when they wear out? I know you have to change those very often because they heat up like a light bulb.

Well, the tubes in the Electribes are used to drive a line level signal, so that is milliwatts. In a power amp, they push a lot more current. I don't know what kind of amp you're talking about, but there is an order of magnitude difference. The tubes in the tribes should last a lot longer.

-- Ronald.

• Members

Originally posted by TheRain

Power Amp tubes need changing sometimes as frequently as once a year or so...

depends on the type of amplifier and how it's biased. some amps do, some don't.

my Leslie amp is a class A tube amp, and it's pair of 6550s so rarely need to be changed that I believe my Tung-Sol 6550s are the same that came with the amplifier in 1952. i had it rebuilt (re-capped, re-resistored, and re-potted, solid-state relay installed) a couple years ago and it sounds just as good with these elderly 6550s than it does with new Svetlanas.

i suppose i should sell those Tung-Sols and use the Svetlanas, but what the hell ...

• Members

You should be able to change preamp tubes without any problems. There are several different 12AX7 tubes to choose from,as well as the 12AT7,ECC83's(the european equivelent to 12AX7's). The differences in the 12AX7's are that the 12AX7A is a general use tube,the 12AX7B is designated as being made to military specs,and the 12AX7C is supposed to be a heavy duty tube,built to better specs but not burning as hot,giving more life,but less overdrive tone. In the Electribe,I'm sure that any tube will work,and Korg's not going to spend very much money on them,so more than likely,the 12AX7's in the Korgs are low end Sovtek or Chinese tubes. The Sovtek preamp tubes are pretty good,but the Chinese ones are known as being pretty crappy.The lifespan of preamp tubes is fairly long,so I'd be suprised if the tube doesn't last as long as your unit does.

Archived