Runaway Truck on a Highway of Death

Boom

• Members

Sweet. One thing I have noticed about all your stuff is your very crisp production. The tune itself has a great "fear and loathing" drugged out western vibe. Great sounds, and catchy lyrics.

What are you using for the guitar?

Sounds like a guitar!

Great job!

• Members

It's nice to hear people using vocals in their tracks.

i like the glitchy drum fills that are just audible in the background.

vocals and guitar are distinctively "indie". It's an interesting mix w/ the programmed beats in the background.

Nice man.

oh, and the synthesized truck engine turning over at the beginning is a nice touch.

• Members

Sounds great! The grungy sound really gives it a highway trucker feel.

For some crits - I would have preferred more bass on the vocals, and them mixed a bit louder. I would also have liked a shift to a higher key for the repeat lines for more impact.

But it sounds really good as it is, good job!

• Members

bad ass.

ba-a-ad ass.

you, sir, are pretty god damn cool.

sounds like a more eletronic version of Deadbolt, maybe one of the coolest bands ever, i think.

If you live in Europe they are touring june/july (http://downinthelab.com/)

anyways..

got a few questions, if you don't mind:

how didja mic the guitar?

what didja use for drums and how didja sequence them?

what didja use to gain/distort it all?

• Members

Eeeeexxxcellent! Yep, that's a keeper! I've got this picture in my mind of some strung out, wild-eyed head blazin' down the road in the wee hours of the morning, in this obnoxiously lit, radio blasting big rig, like something out of a twisted Tarantino flick.

Great work!

I just did me a belly flop into the kiddie pool and now there ain't n'more water. I done splashed it all out. :(:D

• Members

Thanks for the positive comments! :)

I miked the guitar with an MXL 603 condenser, it's a dirt cheap Korean mic, but it's pretty good. I then used Amplitube to add a little distortion and chorus. The tremelo effect is the one built in Logic Audio.

I agree about the vocals, but I had to mask them because theyre not very good. I havent recorded any vocals in over a year, my music is 99% instrumental. :D

The drum loops were done in Reason, the main beat was programmed in Redrum, and the breakbeat sounding thing is one of the factory loops with some tweaking.

• Members

great job. i like everything about it. Lyrics, vocals that evoke some 80s alternative stuff (like tuxedomoon and joy division), drum programming, the whole vibe. Especially the contrast between vocal/drum part vs. instrumental part with that nostalgic e piano is so great.

it lasts 4 min, and still sounds over too soon. I'd wish for some more instrumental chaotic stuff coming in towards the end, some overdriven el. guitar perhaps, plus synths going to fade-out...

only thing i didnt like was the intro, that sound doesnt belong to this song imho. something more trashy is needed, a processed sample of a truck or something, to lead into that killer beat.

thanks

• Members

Originally posted by clusterchord

only thing i didnt like was the intro, that sound doesnt belong to this song imho. something more trashy is needed, a processed sample of a truck or something, to lead into that killer beat.

thanks

It's funny you say that because I had a different idea in mind for the track when I did the motorcyle revving up but somehow it just changed into something else. I thought about taking that out, but I never tried to synthesize an engine revving before so I'm a little proud of it. :D

Archived