50 Gig Piano Mentioned in Keyboard Magazine

rintincop

• Members

50????

Gigabytes????

:eek:

How would you even sample a piano to get a multisample that huge?

Let's see (pulls up windows calculator)...

You'd have to record stereo samples at 24/96, 16 velocity levels, for a full minute on each key.... Even that wouldn't quite be 50 gigs?

• Members

Yeah, I came up with just over a quarter gig per sampling level, in stereo 16 bit, to sample every note for its full length. I think that for the fff strikes that the estimate is a little low, but for ppp strikes it'd be way high, so it works out. If you sample pedal up and down, that's half a gig per level.

So, assuming that you sample at 16(!) different velocity levels, that's still only 8 GB.

OK... say you wanted to sample at 127 different velocity levels... one level per midi velocity. And then sample note-off sounds for each key.

You're still only pushing 66 GB.

Hell, maybe that's what they did. Maybe you really only need 50 GB to sample all 88 notes of the piano at 127 different velocity levels, damper and no damper, at 16 bit/stereo, and my estimate is a bit high.

Kiru

• Members

Let's see:

50 gigabyte

=53687091200 bytes

=17895697067 3byte words (24 bits)

=186413,5111 words per second (at 96 khz)

= 93206,75556 for stereo

= 1059,167677 for each key (88 keys)

= 66,1979798 for 16 velocity layers

That leaves us only 1 minute average sample time per key/layer...

Grtz,

Jeroen

• Members

Originally posted by VanZea

That leaves us only 1 minute average sample time per key/layer...

Yeah, but you don't need to sample a whole minute per key/layer. Low notes die out after about 30 seconds, high ones after only a few. And that's at fff dynamics.

Kiru

• Members

I checked with one of the bigger Piano samples I have (more than 2500 samples, a total of 8 gigs for one pianosound), the longest sample is about 30 seconds. Maybe the 50 gig library has even more velocity layers...

Grtz,

Jeroen

Archived