Stand on a Budget- PVC

dan88z

• Members

I recently bought a Studiologic SL880 controller. I was hoping that I could fit my Electro on top of it on my X stand with a little bit of rigging, and then keep my NL2 on the top tier. Well, this didn't work, and buying a new 3 tier stand was not an option.

I looked toward my good friend, PVC tubing, to provide a solution. What I did was pop the end caps out of the top tier of my X stand, and then fabricate another tier out of PVC that slid into the top tier. The entire cost of this project was under $3. Much cheaper than the 40-50 bucks for a new tier and way cheaper than a new stand. It's real sturdy as the legs actually sit on top of the Electro.

Here are some pics of the add-on. Hopefully someone in the same boat as I was in can use this idea for a cheap and effective solution.

Here's the add-on:

pvcstand.jpg

Here it is inserted into the top tier:

topview.jpg

standsetup.jpg

Here it is with the keyboard in place:

inplace.jpg

sideview.jpg

• Members

I did the same thing on an invisible stand too- I tried using that stand this time but the boards I had back then had more flat area to let them stack together. It didn't work out this time.

For the SL880, I have one zone set up to do the Electro pianos, another zone to act as a "lower manual" for the Electro organ (responding to a different midi ch), and 2 zones set up to control the NL2 so I can layer pads in with the Electro pianos. I may break out one of my romplers again and dedicate a zone to that for some more variety. I'm still playing with it so things will probably change over time as I get used to it and see what my needs are.

Dan

• Members

right on donkey kong!

and bad ass barney!

i am completely doing something similar sometime, maybe.

I have had to in the psat for the same reasons. I just look at something that is quite often 5$ worth of materials and five minutes effort, and see a 45$ tag on it and just can't bring myself to buy it because i would call me a chump.

good work fella!!

• Members

Originally posted by GlassPrisoner

That is prettty cool......but

I had something similair. Self destructed at Fenders in Long Beach. It wasn't pretty.

If it's for home, you're probably OK. Just don't gig with it. Trust me.

What happened to it? I'm curious! I glued this together with PVC cement, it's not going anywhere.

• Members

Originally posted by Boom

That's a good idea. Does it flex much?

Thanks Boom. No, it's solid because it really rests on the keyboard below and all the weight of the keyboard is on the side arms, not the crossbrace in the back. I can bang on it and it doesn't flex at all.

• Members

Originally posted by dan88z

What happened to it? I'm curious! I glued this together with PVC cement, it's not going anywhere.

Mine came apart on stage.

Actually, the ENTIRE stand was home built. Since yours rests the weight on the 'board under it, you SHOULD be OK.

• Members

Originally posted by GlassPrisoner

Mine came apart on stage.

Actually, the ENTIRE stand was home built. Since yours rests the weight on the 'board under it, you SHOULD be OK.

Ah, gotcha now. Yeah, I'd be concerned if the whole stand was pvc and wasn't glued together. I guess you can't really glue and entire stand because you want it to break down for packing.

We'll see how it goes this weekend, I have a 2 night gig that should put it thru it's paces pretty well.

Archived