Roland Cube 60 Keyboard Amp

plusone

• Members

I have a Cube 60 just like that in our band's rehearsal space. It is dedicated to this purpose and works well. Not a bad gigging amp either. I used to have a Cube 40 as well for about 15 years, which was positively tiny, but not really loud enough. The silver amps are early-mid 80's vintage.

I personally think the Cube series has a better sound than the new KC series amps.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

I had one of those Cube 60 jobbers for years! It was fine for small gig situations - nice and light, portable, even has a cheesy built-in reverb I used on several occasions, plugging a mic. straight into it and singing, for house parties and other small functions...

In fact, I had one Cube 60 and then came across another that sounded a bit brighter, crisper - I sold the 1st one to my dad (who is a kybd. plyr. but doesn't gig that much any more and just wanted something small) and I kept using the newer, brighter-sounding one. Whatta son, eh? LOL - but I told him straight up that I was keeping the brighter-sounding one, it's not like I was hiding anything...

Anyway, I've since sold the Cube 60 and this past spring I bought a little Motion-Sound KP100S - which is a great little amp that has a lush stereo sound and is really great for small volume situations:

http://motion-sound.com/keypro_amps.htm

...such as solo gigs, house parties, cocktail hrs. for wedding receptions.

I liked the KP100S so much I recently bought its big brother the Motion-Sound KP200S - which I've discovered also sounds great but may not have enough power for the live gigs I do. Read all about it in this thread.

...I used the KP200S w/a rock band at a bar gig and found it to be way underpowered. Will be using it this weekend w/a wedding band at a holiday party/banquet - I'll decide if it can cut it power-wise or not after that. ;)

So, plusone - what kind of "info" do you need to know - about the Roland Cube 60? If the amp works and makes sound come out when you plug your axe into it, I'd say you're doing alright! :thu: Funny - I sold mine to a guitarist who liked the sound of his gtr. thru it as well...

• Members

I had one too back in the 80's ... thanks for the flashbacks!

It was a great little amp at the time. Seems like I eventually blew the horn in it though.

I'm using a borrowed Mackie SRM450 now and it's frikkin awesome AND loud! When I grab my own I think I'll go with the JBL EON G2 15 mainly because of the built-in mixer and 1/4" ins. Otherwise I hope it sounds as good as this Mackie that my DJ buddy was kind enough to let me borrow!

• Members

Originally posted by midinut

I had one too back in the 80's ... thanks for the flashbacks!

It was a great little amp at the time. Seems like I eventually blew the horn in it though.

I'm using a borrowed Mackie SRM450 now and it's frikkin awesome AND loud! When I grab my own I think I'll go with the JBL EON G2 15 mainly because of the built-in mixer and 1/4" ins. Otherwise I hope it sounds as good as this Mackie that my DJ buddy was kind enough to let me borrow!

Aye - the Cube was a great amp for its time.

I think you'll love the JBL EON15 G2 - I did the same thing: I had played thru a Mackie SRM450 and really liked the sound but realized the EON15 G2's are more flexible with 2 1/4 in. inputs and 1 XLR (each with their own volumes) - the "mini-mixer" of which you speak. And the EON15 G2's sound at least as good as the Mackie SRM 450's, if not better - plus the EONs have a 15" woofer and the SRM450's only have a 12" woofer, which give the EONS the edge in the bass department.

Plus the Mackie SRM450 have known "thermal" issues: if you're playing on a hot day, especially out in the hot sun - they will shut themselves down due to overheating. I've played in direct hot August sun w/my EONs and never had that happen. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by midinut

I didn't think it got hot in Jersey ... only here in the South

(oh wait ... I have that confused with humidity ... never mind)

Thanks for the reassurance on the EON though

:D:thu::wave:

Dude -

It is both HOT and HUMID here in NJ!! We had a record no. of days in the mid-90's last summer & every summer it seems to get worse.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Those old, early 1980, orange, Roland CUBE 60 amps. Were they designed as keyboard amps or guitar amps? I remember them being called keyboard amps.

Other than for the chorus feature, how do the silver CUBE 60s differ from the orange CUBE 60s? I am still wondering whether or not the orange ones were keyboard amps picked up and used by guitarists.

Archived