Should the yamaha CP33 and CP300 in theory sound identical through headphones?

digiology

• Members

From what I remember, when a P90 was played through the speakers of a P250, the difference in the sound produced was negligable.

I can only guess that the same will be true with their replacements.

The extra money is going towards all the other non-piano features :) But if you don't give a crap about them then don't pay for them.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

No. If we just are talking piano, the CP300 has an extra 12MB ROM dedicated to the piano samples compared to the P250, whilst the CP33 piano is identical to its predecessor, the P90.

Therefore, the CP300 "should" (it's all subjective of course) sound superior to a CP33 through the same headphones.

Cheers,

Damian

• Members

They would never make the same Piano sound in both models. It would severly cut down CP300 sales.

The P series were bad controllers. Their MIDI Out velocity scales are limited or compressed somehow.

The action in my P250 was not the same as in my P90 or P120.

The way the software is written also cayuses them to behave differently. So they seem to respond differently.

Yamaha continuosly modfies their actions and changes the part numbers. It is hard to keep track of.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz+

The P series were bad controllers. Their MIDI Out velocity scales are limited or compressed somehow.

The action in my P250 was not the same as in my P90 or P120.

The way the software is written also cayuses them to behave differently. So they seem to respond differently.

Yamaha continuosly modfies their actions and changes the part numbers. It is hard to keep track of.

Sigh. Nothing is ever simple, is it?

Thanks, Jazz+, for the informed response.

• Members

Originally posted by Doug Gifford

Is the action the same on the CP33 and CP300? And is the action on them the same as the P250 and/or P90? I ask this because in the age of softsynths, the sound, if I tire of it, can always be upgraded.
:)

Doug,

I believe the action is the same on the CP33 and the CP300. I'm not sure but I would guess that the action is the same as the P250 and the P90 too.......at least they're called the same: "Graded Hammer Effect".

The only one that's called something different is the P70 which has "Graded Hammer Standard".

I'm new to this so I'm sure I couldn't tell the difference, but perhaps a more experienced pianist could.

Damian

• Members

Yamaha might give the actions all the same name, but there is a definite difference in feel between the different models. When I actually got to sit down and play a CP33, the action felt "odd". Certainly not the same as the CP300. Regardless of what the part numbers might be, they're not 100% the same to play.

Archived