Help me decide on a synth(Waldorf Q or Microwave XTK)

SonnyBlack

• Members

how you all doing. Im a slightly relative newbie to synths (2yrs in the game) that is on the verge of an important purchase. this purchase involves two Waldorf synths. I know that for one, most people on this board praise the Waldorf gear so Id like your opinion on this matter.

First of a little about myself. I first got into this game by wanting to buy a workstation. I know, I know, romplers suck, but I was young and nubile at the time. So I ended up getting a Roland Fantom X6 which I hated and ended up returning. At the time, I had heard all these great things about the Yamaha Motif sound and how it was so realistic so I ended up buying a Motif Es6 which I also hated and returned. After which I decided to buy myself a Dave Smith MonoEvolver Keyboard. That thing had awesome sounds and capabilities(modulation, routings)but I didnt like the fact that with a mono synth I was only allowed one note at a time so I ended up selling that.

SO I decided maybe hardware synths werent for me and I ended up buying a laptop. I downloaded alot of cool shareware stuff I found and that inclined me to purchase a softsynth package. I had heard great things about the professional sound of Native INstruments software so I bought Komplete 3 and a little later KORE. This combintation is AWESOME. It has so much possibilities for creation. I also later got a zooped up desktop pc and a sick monitor. So at the moment, that part of my studio feels complete but I also want a synth or two for performance/impromptu middle of the night composing.

I have two cool guys offering me deals on both a Waldorf XTK and a Waldorf Q. Both the same price. I want to know which might be best suited for me?

Now a little about my musical tastes so you might determine if any of these synths are right for me at all. Im into older (Downward Era) Nine Inch Nails back when Mr Reznor actually took the time to program great stuff. Im also into Radiohead and the whole Kid A sound.Im into alot more things including Mars Volta Experimentation and Portishead and Bjork and Massive Attack-like downbeat trip hop. What Im NOT into is big synth solos(Dream Theatre, YES, Rick Wakeman, etc) I know alot of you guys are so I mean NO offense Im just saying so you take that into consideration.

So perhaps you may be able to help me out in deciding if any of these two synths (or perhaps another one) will help me in my music making endeavors. thanks for any help on this.

PS: I may be wrong but do these synths sound really 80's like? I just heard some demos on the old Waldorf site and they all sound like something out of Miami Vice. Is it possible to get a more modern/industrial-type sound with this machine?

• Members

I made some demos using my Q+ and XTk. There are available here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=545618

Here is a demo of some Waldorf XTk samples there I put together:

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~cwg212/XTreme_Leads.mp3

This dude made some wicked demos with his Q and XT:

http://www.aliens-project.de/t_200402_waldorf_q.html

http://www.aliens-project.de/t_200407_waldorf_XT.html

The Q really doesnt sound like an 80's synth, or like really anything else that's out there. The XTk can do some 80's PPG tones, but it all comes down to how you program it.

If I had to choose only one, I would go with the Q. There are some bugs in the XTk that are a bit offputting if it is your only synth, like the mono-click bug and the aftertouch not properly sending from the keyboard, etc. The XT works better as a specialty kit.

Plus, if you get the Q keyboard, you'll have all 58 knobs right in front of you. Then, if you decide to get an XT later on anyways, you'll still get access to all of the controls, as both the XT and XTk have 44 knobs.

• Members

Originally posted by SonnyBlack

excuse my newbieness, but whats an 'R'?

The Q is modeled after the Pulse. The story goes that Waldorf was going to call their new synth the PolyPulse, but then decided on something else. Q was picked because it is the letter after P. R comes after Q ;)

I'm not sure if there's any truth to any of it, but its' a fun story.

• Members

lets see...you bought a fantom and hated it...then you bought a motif and hated it...then you bought a MEK and loved it??

Were you clear on what sound you were looking for in the first place??? I mean a motif is nothing similar to an MEK:D

just playing...so I have a Q and love it. Cant speak of the XT but it seems to me, and this is just my opinion, that the Q would be a little more versatile as it also has some wavetable capability.

And yes you can reach the outer most limits of sonic terratory with it...but you also can with an Andromeda I would imagine.

The Qs matrix is great, arp, wavetables, endless rotary knobs, seq (takes getting used to) and everything (almost) including the seq and arp output midi. Great fun indeed. I say Q!

• Members

Originally posted by dxdreamer

u dont like fantonX and motif ES.... okay.... ur definally not into mainstream pop or the main stream electronica

So? I dont like McDonalds, I guess I'm not in the mainstream of America. Oh noes!

• Members

If you like 'the sound' of the xt, then get the xt. Other than that, I'd say that everything points to the Q. Better mod matrix, more versatile overall, and (imo) better sounding. More voices in the standard configuration and in the expanded version. More flexible filters, effects....

• Members

hello again everyone. thanks for the awesome suggestions. Thanks for the awesome demos Array, those things sound sick. Im glad I got your help on this as I well know you own these two delicious pieces of gear yourself, and any help I can get from the master himself is awesome.

I really want my gear to work towards the sound and bands I have in mind and Im glad you guys made my decision a little easier. As of now, it seems like I am gonna go for the QK as it is the better deal for a $1000 plus shipping(58 knobs with complex arppegiators perfect for impromptu composing,rich, full bodied VA sound, better mod matrix, etc). Also I realized that while I hardly ever see Qkeyboards on ebay, there are always XT's and on a lesser scale XTKs showing up, so I know I can snag myself up one a little later.

Mook, BillyWa and MyteeGTI came closest to suggesting what i plan to get:a full Qk and an XT rack to compliment it. The xt seems to me as more of a specialty synth that allows you to do cool wavetable stuff and the Q seems to me like more of a workhorse VA, a performance synth in everyway. So thank you very much everyone, and hey , dont let me put to rest this cool thread about Waldorf gear, keep the comments coming...really interesting stuff from interesting people. thanks again.

Archived