Used MS20 price: is this expensive?

cl516

• Members

Used MS20 price: is this expensive? (i think so.)

store here in toronto wants to charge $1595 Canadian Dollars for a pristine (according to them) MS20.

$1595, on top buyer would have to pay 14% sales tax. ($223.30)

Grand total out the door price of: $1818.30 Canadian Dollars.

This is about $1550 US Dollars.

Expensive: yes or no?

I freaking hate buying gear in toronto.

• Members

Are you refearing to song bird music store? I tell you what, go in there and tell them what you want to pay for it and let them deal with the person on the other side (if the synth is on consignment). Anyways, I love that store. They always have something interesting.

Alpha.

• Members

yeah Alpha, it's that place.

Their prices on PEK and MEK are awful also.

Just makes me feel less guilty going in there just to play on stuff.

Sometimes they have good deals on used pedals, but most of the time i feel like i been robbed when i walk out.

• Members

They had a MS20 about 4 months ago and I believe it was going for around $1200 (if I remember correctly). You have to remember that they take 25% (I belive) from the asking price for themselves if an item is on consignment, so they have to be more expensive. Another thing is that you get some warranty on used stuff. Anyways, I bought a bunch of stuff from them and I'm happy with every single item. Beside them where else could one buy used synths in Ontario??? Do you know any other places?

Alpha

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There are five completed sales listed on Fee-Bay for February 2008, at 1451, 1150, 1250, 1325, and 1299 $US. At least one was a buy-it-now.

What is insane to me is that the first user review of the MS-20 here was made in 1998 (10 years ago!) and the guy claims he bought it for $100.

So the re-emergence of analog instruments plus the collection factor has certainly jacked up the price somewhat. Perhaps one could justify the further market price escalation if the synth has been refurbished, recapped, cleaned inside, etc.

Maybe save your money and buy a Voyager or Little Phatty? Or perhaps, if it has not been refurbished, since a vintage synth like that will most likely need work now or soon, go the full modular route with DIY kits or build it slowly?

• Members

On the same topic, is getting the MS10 at $500 a good deal? It is after all half of an MS20 right?

I guess technically it is sorta 1/2 of the MS20 but with little to no real character...makes a good bass machine but $500 is ok I guess...but I wouldnt pay more. The MS20 not only has more features but a totally different and unique sound due to the filters and what not...plus the MS10s patch panel is near useless...theres just not much there to patch.

Archived