TG77 Backlight replacement

Tony Scharf

• Members

I looked around and found pleanty of info on HOW to replace the backlight on an SY77/99, but not much on the TG77. I doubt it would be much different..

The problem I am having is finding the part. Any idea where I can get one? I work in low light, so the dim display is a problem. I also have a dimming display on my EMU E-64 I'd also like to look into replacing...will the backlights be similar/same?

Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I just finished a backlight replacement on the TG77.

I chose a slightly different method from the ones commonly posted on the web. Once I had the LCD assembly out of the TG77, I removed the black frame *only* by unbending the tabs. So, now I just had the circuit board with the LCD and backlight all together.

I don't like separating the LCD from the rest of the assembly, so I cut a long piece of thin but stiff plastic (I used a section from an empty DIP IC tube) and carefully slid it under the old backlight, moving it back and forth and taking care not to run into the sides holding the LCD.

Once I separated the old backlight from the circuit board by doing this, I could pull the backlight out easily and slide the new one in (with some new adhesive on the back).

• Members

I looked around and found pleanty of info on HOW to replace the backlight on an SY77/99, but not much on the TG77. I doubt it would be much different..

Problem is, some "smart" designer decided to glue the EL foil in the SY-77's display (and i fear this might be the case with TG-77). As a result, pulling it out took an hour or so. During this i accidentally lifted and moved the glass with crystals a little bit, without knowing. So, i assemble SY-77 back and figured out half of characters are washed out. This is what happens when contacts are not properly aligned. So.. disassemble it again, lift the glass, clean rubber contacts below, precisely align and put it all back.

It worked this time....

LOL! You really don't need this. The replacement is trivial. Problem is if the backlight is glued.

• Members

Problem is, some "smart" designer decided to glue the EL foil in the SY-77's display (and i fear this might be the case with TG-77). As a result, pulling it out took an hour or so. During this i accidentally lifted and moved the glass with crystals a little bit, without knowing.

That's why I used a plastic strip to 'unglue' the foil from the circuit board. Since the glue is 10+ years old (or whatever), once I separated it I could easily pull the old foil out.

I ordered the Telesis replacement foil because I knew it would 'just work' and if I spent 2 hours measuring the old, digging through the web, placing an order, etc it would cost more than the $30 they are charging. My time has value and I weigh the cost of spending an hour or two versus the cost of just buying it. I went with Telesis this time. I'll let you know what I do when I replace the backlight on the Wave....

• Members

If you get the installation CD from Telesis they use a TG77 as their example installation.

I just installed a backlight into my D-550 from them. It took less than an hour. Of course, knowing how to solder/unsolder helps a lot.

• Members

The problem I am having is finding the part. Any idea where I can get one? I work in low light, so the dim display is a problem. I also have a dimming display on my EMU E-64 I'd also like to look into replacing...will the backlights be similar/same?

Thanks in advance

You may want to look at this thread: http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=000100 and think about replacing the whole lcd with this nice looking blue one. You will also be able to disable the voltage inverter for the lcd that tends to cause a high pitch whine. I'm planning on doing both my SY77 and SY99.

Clyde

Archived