New lightweight piano needed

NJC

• Members

What are my options for replacing my Roland EP-77 piano? It is a 76 key semi-weighted keyboard with a stereo sampled piano sound, built in speakers and- crucially- audio outs. I feel it is about time to get something newer, as years of gigging mean this isn't gonna last forever.

I've looked at the following:

Yamaha NP30: No audio outs! And graded touch keys are probably too light in comparison to EP77's semi-weighted keyboard

Kurzweil SP76: Difficult to get hold of in the UK and pricey at

• Members

Your Technics piano weighs about 35lbs... that is not heavy. Most pianos weigh in at around 45 lbs or more. One of the few graded-hammer 88's that weighs less is the Casio PX-200 at 27lbs, and it's sound is close to decent too. If 27lbs is still too heavy then you need a health club membership.

• Members

Your Technics piano weighs about 35lbs... that is not heavy. Most pianos weigh in at around 45 lbs or more. One of the few graded-hammer 88's that weighs less is the Casio PX-200 at 27lbs, and it's sound is close to decent too. If 27lbs is still too heavy then you need a health club membership.

Let me clarify: It is not the weight which is a problem, but rather the length for fitting into my car with ease. I agree that the Technics is nice and light. I bought it to replace a Roland RD-150 which was certainly heavier. The problem is the fact that 88 key boards are too long to fit in the boot or even across the back seat of my car.

• Members

Theres the Kurzweil SP76 which is {censored}ing expensive.

Edit:Ah sorry, you got that already.

Have a look at the CME ZSC64 then, if it comes out, it would suit your needs perfectly, given that you have any way to produce piano sounds.

There sometimes are cheap 61 key "pianos" with semi weighted keys on ebay, but I doubt they have any quality. I cant remember the name, Cronenwerth or {censored} like that

• Members

I can't understand why the Kurzweil SP76 is so expensive. It would probably be perfect otherwise. The new SP2 is out to replace the SP76, with the SP2x replacing the SP88x.

Why, then, has the SP76 not dropped dramatically in price? There are some places still selling the SP76 for

• Members

Buy a Yamaha CP 33, a thin case and stand the thing on end in the back seat behind you. If it wont fit that way you totally need a new ride... :-)

Nice piano though it is, I don't see any huge advantage of the CP33 over the Technics P50 which I already own. It fits in the back of the car the way you suggest. I just like the fact the EP-77 fits in the boot, or across the back seats with ease. Getting an 88 key piano in is a bit of a pain. AND, I do not need 88 keys. I'm amazed there aren't more 76 key options out there. But I suppose the manufacturers have done their research...

I think I'll try and source a Roland A-37 or something. Or, wait to see if the Kurz SP76 drops to a more reasonable price with the launch of the SP2...

Thanks for all the responses so far anyway!

• Members

I used to play a 76-note keyboard and thought I didn't need 88 notes. I was wrong.

And by the time you add pitch/mod wheels and stuff then most 76's are as wide as 88's anyway, which is why many 88's have the pitch/mod wheels are above the keyboard instead of beside it, or don't have them at all.

You still need a station wagon.

• Members

by the time you add pitch/mod wheels and stuff then most 76's are as wide as 88's anyway

That's why I got rid of the Korg Triton Pro. Well, that and the fact that I had no idea how to work the thing, nor any need for its many features!

Think I'm gonna look for a Roland A-33 and team it with a Kurz micropiano or save up for the Gem R-PX which is apparently ace...

If anyone on the forum could tell me whether or not the keyboard action on the A-33 is the same as on the EP-77, that would be very much appreciated. I wish Roland would write the actual model names of the actions in their specification list. I remember my RD-150 had a "TP23" action (Fatar probably)

• Members

What are my options for replacing my Roland EP-77 piano? It is a 76 key semi-weighted keyboard with a stereo sampled piano sound, built in speakers and- crucially- audio outs. I feel it is about time to get something newer, as years of gigging mean this isn't gonna last forever.

I've looked at the following:

Yamaha NP30: No audio outs! And graded touch keys are probably too light in comparison to EP77's semi-weighted keyboard

Kurzweil SP76: Difficult to get hold of in the UK and pricey at

• Members

The Clavia Nord Stage is the lightest 88-key weighted digital piano, plus it's got killer Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clav and Hammond sounds.

If you're on a budget, the best buy is the Casio Privia. Yeah, I know it carries the Casio stigma but I've heard it's a really good value for the price.

Got my sister the Casio. It is a decent keyboard, and great value for the price. But unfortunately, I don't want a Casio. That sounds like a horrible thing to say. But, I just don't want one

• Members

I finally managed to get my password reset! I started this thread under my new user name, NJC. I officially announce the retirement of NJC, and the return of "The Piano Man". If anyone can answer the following question, that'd be great:

Does the Roland A-33 have the same action as the Roland EP-77?

Thanks,

The Piano Man

• Members

As much as I hate to admit this sometimes.. my sp76 is the anchor of my gig set. It is realitively light, but well built. I have carried it to gigs for the past three years - never failed. The quality is fine for playing live, presets are decent. I wish I could say something bad about it (then i could justify a new spend) but I cant.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived