Effects for Analog Synths

alcu

• Members

I was playing the MiniMoog Voyager today at Guitar Center...starting to get used to all the controls. But, I just realized that these machines don't have onboard effects. I currently play the k2600xs, with a plethora of effects, I was feeling a bit... naked on the Moog. I plan on purchasing a DSI Prophet '08 in the near future, which I imagine it doesn't have effects either. Since I'll be primarily using it for live stage use, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Alex

• Members

I was playing the MiniMoog Voyager today at Guitar Center...starting to get used to all the controls. But, I just realized that these machines don't have onboard effects. I currently play the k2600xs, with a plethora of effects, I was feeling a bit... naked on the Moog. I plan on purchasing a DSI Prophet '08 in the near future, which I imagine it doesn't have effects either. Since I'll be primarily using it for live stage use, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Alex

If you want distortion, try a distortion pedal. If you want delay, try a delay pedal. and so on...

• Members

Its funny, when I ordered my Prophet 08 I thought I might need to get some effects for it. I have not yet really found that I am wanting any, though I could certainly steal an analog delay or chorus off my guitar pedal board.

• Members

OK, here are my recommended pedals. I arrived at these after a pretty long search and lots of trial and error:

Tube warmth/drive = SIB FatDrive

Tube drive/distiortion = SIV Varidrive

Semi-conductor drive/distortion = FoxRox Zim

Semi-conductor distortion/fuzz = Subdecay stupid box

Analog Delay = Maxon AD900 or Moog MF-104Z

Digital Delay = DLS Echo Tap

Chorus = Fulltone ChoralFlange or Maxon CS-9

Optical phaser = Fulltone mini deja vibe (the new deja vibe with the speed pedal looks sweet though - I might have to trade mine in)

Semi-conductor clean boost for your pedal chain = Fulltone Fat Boost

• Members

Since I'll be primarily using it for live stage use, what do you guys recommend?

Delay is the only essential effect for live performance IMO. Just a simple slapback or two-three reflections does wonders for fattening leads and smoothing pads onstage. Everything else is a matter of personal preference. Most of the time I use nothing else on my synth stuff.

• Members

Thanks for all replies.

For the sake of being of politically correct.... pedals are not for me! Nor should they be for any keyboard player... I have enough pedals between sustain, patch change, Leslie switch... etc.

I'm not sure if the Moogerfooger's will be utilized the way they should on stage. Besides, for nearly the same price, I could pick up a G-Major. I could control both the Prophet and G-Major with my k2600 with setup patches via MIDI.

Thanks

Alex.

• Members

For the sake of being of politically correct.... pedals are not for me! Nor should they be for any keyboard player... I have enough pedals between sustain, patch change, Leslie switch... etc.

You make the assumption that these should be placed on the floor ;). Of course not! Also, the size of the pedal makes it much easier to carry it with you than the 1U rack version, plus they're more accessible; no deep menus. Some effects only come in pedal format.

• Members

I've been demoing the soundtoys native pack and Im surprised at how good they sound.

Former Eventide engineers. That's why. They know how to code and have the ear to make that code musical. I use their TDM plugs from when they were WaveMechanics. Good Stuff! :thu:

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Besides, for nearly the same price, I could pick up a G-Major. I could control both the Prophet and G-Major with my k2600 with setup patches via MIDI.

Why a G-Major? Probably find a Fireworx more useful for a keyboard and that does have excellent midi control.

TBH I dont know the G-Major - allways thought it was basically just a guitar processor and Ive never really been grabbed by guitars processors for generic use with keyboards.

Archived