Where can i find an analog that "needs work"

enx

• Members

Forumite GilWe always seems to have a fixer-upper project going; perhaps he can address your question.

I would sell him my "project" Matrix 6, but shipping won't make this an option I guess ;)

On the other hand this is no student project - the bastard has a totally corroded programmer board ! :freak:

A busted SH101, or even a TB303/TR606 could be nice if he would be lucky enough to find any.

I think a NiCD leaked Polysix would be a very easy find, and a very cool project to get some experience with.

It's a great synth to own as well, so it quite worths the effort - so all in all that's a very good option.

They all develop the same leakage problem if the battery is not replaced in time, and are sold like that on a constant basis on ebay.

But beware, the fix is not a starter project and can tear your hair off sometimes,

depending on how severe the leakage is... Much information about the fix is available on the web though, so you can get some

direction. Actually, any polysynth with a leaking battery could work for that project, will be easy to purchase, and easy to find on the lists. :thu:

You can check about what this kind of project involves, here:

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/korg/polysix/repair.html

The Vintagesynth gear forums are a good place to search for these, and the local flea market is probably the perfect place for non working instruments ! ;)

P.S

R33K is absolutely right ! 99% of the vintage "working" synths will be found to have some issues.

usually the type of problems starters would be able to deal with - scratchy sliders, caps to be replaced,

bad heat sink contacts, battery replacement etc. What you consider "maintenance" rather than "restoration" ;)

• Members

That probably means a powersupply issue. Could be interesting if you're into that kind of project. High voltages in there so you really need to know what you're doing. If you're not confident don't risk yourself - get a 9v based synth like the SH101 you were thinking of ;)

But if you do know what you're doing, then the 800 is a great choice for a great price. There are a few mods available for it which will make it much more usable. Good luck !

• Members

i'll have a robotics teacher (to assist with electronic stuff) and a room full of electronics equipment at my disposal

after i get it working i can mod it

i'd looooove an sh-101, but vintage Rolands (even broken ones) are outrageous at this point in time

• Members

You'll have to find the keys for it as well. This is not very easy. I got Polysix keys for sale but I doubt they are the same.

Again, do not handle high voltage circuits unless you're qualified !

the 'broken' keys just look cracked or crooked, they're still fully there

another one ($0.99 at the moment), is missing around 10 keys completely

• Members

for a poly 800 missing a whole octave, could i move the battery compartment over and remove an octave from the end? (nothing there except the battery compartment and keys)

thus making it a 37-key (or 36-key) synth

02_no_keys.jpg

• Members

it doesn't power up and has 4 broken black keys

hmm

That's easy. Start with the power supply and measure output voltages on the secondary. Good idea is to obtain a service manual so you know what voltages should be where, etc.

I had a Monopoly that simply didn't wanted to play a note (keyboard was ok, gates were ok, etc). I replaced some op amps, and a transistor in VCA section, that appeared to not give output votages they were supposed to, but still no change. I tracked everything with the oscilloscope for about five days and still couldn't figured out where the problem is. Mad as hell, right as i wanted to give up, i spot a switch on the back (Postive / Negative GATE switch). I switch it up and down, and booom(!) synth starts to work. Turned out it was in the middle position. :freak: Conclusion: the most stupidest failures, take most time to be figured out.

• Members

That's easy. Start with the power supply and measure output voltages on the secondary. Good idea is to obtain a service manual so you know what voltages should be where, etc.

I had a Monopoly that simply didn't wanted to play a note (keyboard was ok, gates were ok, etc). I replaced some op amps, and a transistor in VCA section, that appeared to not give output votages they were supposed to, but still no change. I tracked everything with the oscilloscope for about five days and still couldn't figured out where the problem is. Mad as hell, right as i wanted to give up, i spot a switch on the back (Postive / Negative GATE switch). I switch it up and down, and booom(!) synth starts to work. Turned out it was in the middle position.
:freak:
Conclusion: the most stupidest failures, take most time to be figured out.

i think the internal memory backup battery is dead, and apparently some of the keys just don't push back up and some feel like the plastic tab holding them up is broken

seems like an easy fix

• Members

well i'm buying 2 non-working Poly 800's

one isn't in bad shape (some key repair, new batteries, re-load factory patches)

the other is to be used for parts or anything i can use it for if i can get it working, it's missing nearly a whole octave (some of the remaining keys are broken also), needs new batteries, and is most likely void of all factory patches also

so, synths- $11

shipping- $30 ish

Rescue kit- $15

parts for repair and mods- ??

oh, and another thing, both are missing joystick levers, what can i replace them with?

• Members

oh, and another thing, both are missing joystick levers, what can i replace them with?

Well, the Poly800's joystick is most likely a digital XY encoder, so any joystick that comes close to the original's values. You'll need to source the schematic.

Even a computer joystick or trackball may work.

• Members

Well, the Poly800's joystick is most likely a digital XY encoder, so any joystick that comes close to the original's values. You'll need to source the schematic.

Even a computer joystick or trackball may work.

hmm, a trackball would be muy sweet

but is there a place where i could find replacement parts (keybed, joysticks)

also, it may also be missing the circuit board under the joystick (the little one mounted to the bottom of the joystick), can i wire it to work with 2 mod wheels, or another joystick without the circuit board

Archived