EBAY BOYCOTT: Feb 18 - 25

ShakaCthulu

• Members

With the recent slap in the face and insult to millions of people's intelligence, it's time to remind Feebay that we made that community, and we can bring them down. Ebay's new CEO has described powersellers and others complaining as "nothing but noise".

No selling, and no buying during this period. This is a response to the incredibly lame changes due to take place on Feb 20th. Unite and join me and thousands of others in solidarity. If powersellers can halt their businesses and main sources of income for a week, I think we can too. I know I will.

It's too bad there isn't a unified alternative for Ebay defectors to go. Maybe if enough of us put enough of a hurt on Ebay, viable competitors like Google will see an opportunity.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have no plans to buy or sell anything on there anyway this week - I am certainly not a power seller.

Good luck with the boycott. I dont have much faith it will have an impact on them (its far to short a term). For every person ticked off, there will be pleanty who dont care and just keep selling..

• Members

I guess I'll participate in it, though I'm no power seller, I can hold off selling that JX-8P I fixed up for a week or so.

But, if the boycott leads to some bargain prices on vintage synths, I may not be able to resist temptation. ;)

• Members

Ebay is getting less and less interesting to me... I bid on an amp the other day and failed to win.. then next day got a second chance offer for my high bid and checked the towns of both the seller and buyer and they were the same...

This shilling business, fraud and general high prices for Ebay and Paypal is killing ebay..

• Members

Ebay is getting less and less interesting to me... I bid on an amp the other day and failed to win.. then next day got a second chance offer for my high bid and checked the towns of both the seller and buyer and they were the same...

This shilling business, fraud and general high prices for Ebay and Paypal is killing ebay..

Ive seen that quite a few times recently.

Seems it becoming the standard way to stretch the real winning bid to the max.

I think my 'polite' reply to the last second chance offer I got was on the lines "{censored} off you scamming twat" :)

• Members

At least for me, the casual seller, eBays new fee structure is a "wash" -- i.e. the total cost is the same.

Same here...

And I still dont think Ebay is all that bad. Its harder to find a good deal only because people keep falling into a buying frenzy and paying higher prices. You can still find plenty of great deals though. You'll also get a heck of a lot more money selling your stuff on ebay than you will on a trade in.

I wouldnt certainly like to see them get some serious competition though...I agree they do keep massaging their fee structure a bit too much.

• Members

Well, if the boycott is a big success it would seem the only people who'll use Ebay during that time would be thieves and suckers ...

My guess is that most people dont even know about the boycott. I bet most people just continue to use it..business as usual..

Also, for a boycott to work its got to be a long and sustained effort. I really dont think 2 weeks are going to put too much of a dent in e-bay's earnings. I'd also wager that 2 weeks not selling is going to be hard for a lot of stores if not impossible.

• Members

I'm a casual user so I wasn't even paying attention to the new pricing until today. I haven't had any negative experiences with Ebay. Still, that's a nasty hike given that the power sellers and online store people are, for me, one of the big draws to Ebay.

Not having followed any of the "Town Hall" stuff, what is Ebay saying as their justification for this hike? It's not as if there is any pressure to instigate an online sales tax and they don't exactly employ a huge number of employees. Unless there is a compelling reason for this type of increase, I'm down with the boycott. No, it ultimately won't end the new pricing scheme but unless the consumer reminds the companies that a free market means they have to make us happy, too, then it ain't a free market.

The other thing I thought may be important: if there is a boycott, shouldn't the organizers also be asking people not to browse at all so that their overall traffic drops?

• Members

My guess is that most people dont even know about the boycott. I bet most people just continue to use it..business as usual..

Also, for a boycott to work its got to be a long and sustained effort. I really dont think 2 weeks are going to put too much of a dent in e-bay's earnings. I'd also wager that 2 weeks not selling is going to be hard for a lot of stores if not impossible.

You're probably right (my comment was more of a yolk) ... I wonder if the mainstream media (i.e. national TV news) will pick it up and threaten an advertiser? They might if the boycott reaches a quantifiable level ...

• Members

Ebay seems to have mixed-up who their customers are, and who pays their bills.

Buyers have never given a single dime to e-bay, in their entire history.

I have long believed that e-bay considers their sellers a captive audience, and that their mission was to find out what the breaking point was as far as seller fees, and keep their prices at that point, much like the oil industry does with gasoline. It is almost an adversarial relationship, rather than cooperative.

:mad:

• Members

I have had three very ugly interactions with E-bay (or whatever).

I also believe what I have heard about some of the for-sale merchandise having been previously stolen; as I know of two occurences of this personally.

It has also been apparent to me, as a long-time, practised, former wholesale buyer of stones and jewelry supplies, that very often the stones and pieces of work being sold on E-bay are NOT the stones the seller claims them to be.

They are often pretty cheap and lousy fakes or 'synthetics'. The so-called hand-made pieces are often shop-made in China or other low-wage countries.

That is why I will never attempt to sell any artwork on E-bay.

The other petty diversion E-bay allows its sellers to use is the practice of selling knock-offs or cheap copies with a big-name logo.

I have also received 'junk' condition merchandise from an E-bay seller which had been described as "slightly used".

So then, there would seem to be many reasons to avoid E-bay other than price-point fixes.

Thanks for your information about this (price-point) other little scam you believe is being exploited. It would not surprise me.

Marais (apologies for the verbosity).

• Members

KHAZUL said: I think my 'polite' reply to the last second chance offer I got was on the lines "{censored} off you scamming twat"

I love that "polite" way of using the "T" word. Maybe Jane Fonda can use the "T" word in her next TV interview....since she has already gotten hammered for using the "C" word on the air. Way to go KHAZUL!!!

Archived