Has anyone worked with the Yoki electronic drums?

dinnerpianist

• Members

Well, as someone who is still fixated on owning large resonating membranes and flashy chrome scaffolding my advice is to simply skip the cheap stuff.

You get what you pay for, and cheap pads = cheap pads.

Esp. if you have young apes who like to weld their clubs with serious velocity.

The best I would recommend is any of the older Roland pads. Anything from PD-5's, 7's or 9's. You can still find them fairly cheaply here and there and they are built like tanks.

True, they aren't fully compatible with the newest TD-20's, but I doubt you'll be wanting to use brushes with them anyway. :blah:

-bruce

• Members

The students build their own pads out of 16 gauge steel 4" diameter, velcro and neoprene isolation between the steel and a plexiglass base. Neoprene rubber is used for the striking surface. Regular radio shack piezo but with special two stage adhesive procedure and special soldering and wiring once extracted from their plastic encasement. We've opened up just about every pad to examine how to best improve on builds. The most rigorous designed were the S&S Xwings but even they eventually lost adhesion integrity of the rubber striking surface. The DW Terry Bozzio three zone pads were sort of interesting but not well thought out. The raised sides were a bad idea.j Better to stick with what we've come up with in class.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived