Best Live All-in-One Portable Sequencer

johnbarnesiii

• Members

I'm one of those who can't seem to find it in me to use a laptop, b/c I want a small all-in-one unit that is dedicated for keyboard use. SO...

...I'm upgrading from my Roland Xp-60 which I used for all-in-one sequencing, rehearsing (using internal sounds) and gigging (set playlists for live playback of backing tracks).

I need something smaller so I don't have to lug a keyboard to shows, been asking around for other smaller alternatives that do all-in-one, so far I'm hearing Yamaha QY-100, RS7000, Rm1x.

Are there any others? (where for rehearsing I just hook up a controller, but for live just need to take the tabletop or rack unit itself, hence portable).

Any suggestions most appreciated. Oh, and click out to drummer, playlist ability, and pedal assign to start next song in list also huge pluses.

• Members

I dunno... stand alone hardware sequencers are going out of style. Perhaps the Yamaha QY-700 comes closest to what you are describing. An older laptop running ShowPlay would certainly do the trick. The sequencers that are available in some of the better keyboards are more feature-rich than any of the old stand alone units so if you're upgrading your keyboard anyway then you might as well get a workstation or an arranger that has the sequencer features you need. Or just record your sequences to MP3 and use an iPod on stage and leave the extra gear safe at home.

• Members

E-MU Command Station - XL7/MP7 - with a Composer or Sounds of the ZR-76 rom tossed in.

Upside: does everything you just described. Very good organs, okay electric pianos. Good drums. Good synthy sounds.

Acoustic piano on the Composer bites. Acoustic piano on the ZR rom is good in the mix but not mindblowing. Other instruments are a mixed bag.

If you have the cash: M3 module??? Used rackmount Triton???

Archived