Mixer and effects loop setup question

llamastorm

• Members

I'm wondering if I can do the following easily and what are the best ways to go about it.

Scenario:

I have a synth that I record in audio form. It runs through a Lexicon effects box. I want to record the synth without the reverb, but use the Lexicon to provide reverb when I'm playing back the track.

Can this be configured sanely without expensive mixers?

I have a relatively cheap Tapco ($50) mixer right now that clearly doesn't have the right kind of inputs for this, but I'm wondering how this is typically hooked up.

My computer has a M-Audio firewire solo -- stereo in, stereo out, and that's it. Is that interface sufficient to do something like that?

One potential desire is being able to vary the Lexicon effects while the track is playing through automation, which right now I can't do because they are recorded into the track.

If this ends up being expensive I will probably forget it but I was just curious as to the quickest/cheapest way to wire that kind of thing up.

• Members

You're going to need to put a decent mixer in the chain between your synth and the M-Audio interface. Something that has Effects sends and returns.

If you're looking to economize, Tapco has a cheap little mixer for around 70 bucks, the Mix.60. There's a ton of small format mixers around, you'll just go do some shopping.

-bruce

Archived