Does anyone have a Novation KS4 or KS5?

Gunslinger69

• Members

I searched but found nothing.

Backstory - I sold my A-station about a month ago because I wasn't using it. I had controlled it with an X-Board 49, which presently sits unused. At the time, I told myself that the Fusion did the VA well enough.

However, even though the Fusion VA sounds good, the interface doesn't really click with me - I think I need more knobs. One of the issues with the A-station was that it was difficult to address the knobs in a 1-rackspace unit, which would obviously not be an issue with a KS4 or 5.

I have had the JP-6 out for a gig before but remain reluctant to lug it to rehearsal and the occasional gig.

So - if anyone has one, please speak up. Do you like it? Strengths? Weaknesses? Comparisons to other boards you've played?

TIA.

• Members

Paid $400 for a lightly used KS4 locally. I freaking love it for sound design, live performance, rainy day headphone sessions, etc. Okay, so it's the only VA I've ever owned, but I did my research when I bought it and have not regretted one moment.

• Members

I love it's sound as well. I have the KS-5. I love the feel of the mod wheels. I have a Novation SL-37 and I think the keys are better on the KS series (not as springy as the SL). I love the Novation gloss/sound. I think stuff like the Ion and MS2K are cool, but I want a VA to have a unique sound. The Ion doesn't do it for me. If I want analog, I will only buy analog. The Novation has that gloss I like VAs for. The MS2K is cool for some sounds, although I know people who just hate it's sound. I kind of like Korg VA too, but Novation is my favorite, moreso than the Virus A and B. The JP8K/SH201 are cool for that Roland sound, but still.

I like the Novation for everything: hard in your face digital basses, funky leads, beautiful pads. I like the Q too, but sometimes sounds too crispy and digital. I love my Polymorph, but that's actual samples for the waveforms (which is part of why I love it so much). Wow....did I just go over everything but the KS :D

The interface of the KS is great and well laid out. Everything's easy to get to. I only had to look in the manual for a few functions and see how it worked in the KS. Love the feel of the KS keyboard and love the awesome rubbery pitch and mod wheels. The knobs are good. I like the looks a lot, it's aerodynamic and looks like something off an alien craft.

The sounds are great like I mentioned and the extra waveforms are really cool to have. The sounds you can make are really cool and can get wild. The Hypersync function is cool and can add a lot more motion and liveliness to the sound, which all other Novations lack. All the techno/trance sounds you could imagine you can get with the KS. Although I've yet to get a Supersaw like the Rolands can. I just flat out love the KS sound, different than the Supernovas sound, but both definitely speak Novation.

Novation needs to work on that part, but supersaws are all over softsynths, so maybe it's not a biggie, but I wish it had a supersaw waveform.

Has anyone tried detuning all 3 Osc for 3 different sounds to achieve a Supersaw type Roland sound? I wonder.

• Members

I have a KS-Rack - a rack version of the KS-4/5 - its one of my favourite synths and with its collection of pcm waves, cabale of some very good non VA sounds as well.

Great sounding filter on it, very easy to program.

Search 'KS-Rack' for mine and others comments on it.

• Members

KS is a great synth.

I think of it like the MS2000. It may be a fairly simple machine, but it just works really well and I always get rewarding results with it. Again, like the MS2000, I think the well designed interface has a lot to do with this.

Particularly good at dark brooding pads and basses. Has that smooth, slightly dark Oberheimishy Novation sound which you will either like or not.

It sort of does the usual sounds but with a slight twist, that I really like.

Always gives me pleasure to use it. The interface is really cool. I have a SNII but use the KS Rack just as much.

Be aware that some of the keyboards had a bug, causing distortion. I don't know whether this was fixed in an os update or was a fault. There was quite a flap about it at the time.

I have a KS rack and its fine.

They are dirt cheap too. My rack was

Archived