Hey YOU--the guy that said, "When are we gonna hear that Kurz?"

Iwritefire

• Members

I had said yesterday:

This song gets deleted from my playlist tomorrow

Well, tomorrow's here, and I deleted everything in my playlist.

Remember the low-polyphony strings that I made for the Kurzweil PC2X and posted? the soft ones? (I hate Kurzweil's abrasive strings.) Well, after months of waiting (hubby said don't be posting anything till I register the copyright to everything, so I didn't even bother with an encoder until I registered it all) I got my MP3 encoder today and am dying to play with it, like a starving child wolfs down food.

I erased everything I wrote to start all over, because I sent off a lousy CD to the copyright office just so I could start posting my music. Hubby said no, to wait till they send me back a certificate. So this afternoon, I posted my practice exercise for arpeggios, sixths, and inversions (the beginning of it, before I modulate). That's harmless enough. Nothing hubby would object to, nothing anybody would be interested in. And you can really hear the strings.

BUT...at 1:30 am--just now--I thought I'd sneak a little overture (warning--I think it's six minutes or more) that I love to play. Mind you, it's not the same way I play it for a production, with a sound module and flutes, horns, and bells for different themes, and my entire keyboard programmed for every scene, but it's the bare, stripped-down piano and strings, unedited version (and I know nothing about about mixing and mastering yet). This song gets deleted from my playlist tomorrow (Hubby has me spooked!).

I listened to it just now, and it sure takes off slow. But--oh, well--it's 1:30 in the morning. I think I'm just slow. And I don't know how to speed up audio yet.

I don't know how to properly direct you to my site yet, I just set it up this afternoon, but you can get to it from here. Hope you enjoy the strings! And if you want to hear how to make them again, let me know.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=808228

• Members

Thanks, ya'll. This piece, with it's lackluster start this morning, doesn't live up to my name, does it. Oh well, it's about the strings, not my music. I'm leaving for church. So if you come, guy, here's the string recipe anyway:

1.Go to bank 6 by pressing internal voices>internal+user.

2. Scroll to program 9, Chiano (it's a piano).

3. Open (press) Timbre.

4. Layer: 1 Notch Filt will be showing.

5. Change the Freq to D 7 2349Hz.

6. Press Zone 2 to access layer 2.

7. Layer: 2 Notch Filt will be showing.

8. Change the Freq to D 7 2349Hz.

9. Scroll forward to the next window. It says NotchFilt again.

10.Change the Wid: to 5.000oct.

11. Press Zone 1 to access layer 1.

12. Change the Wid: to 5.000oct.

13. Scroll forward to Layer 1: Volume.

14. Change it to 11 dB. anything higher, and the bass will have too much reverb for your speakers.

15. Change Layer 2 to 11 dB, too.

16. Scroll back to the beginning to Keymap. Change it to 111 Strings Left. It's a mono keymap, so when you replace the one not in ( ), you replace the (Keymap), too.

18. Do the same for Layer 1.

19.Scroll forward to Key Range. Change Hi: to B 3.

20. Change Layer 2 to Lo: C 4. This is because if the same two layers play the same note, the original Chiano piano is configured to do somthing weird. So the string keymap you drop into the Chiano piano will do weird things too. But it won't if the two layers don't access the same note simultaneously. Of course, you must separate the two lines and then join the two into one line before you input the Kurz into your speakers, or else the strings will seperate. They separate in my headphones, with the bass in my left ear and the treble in my right, but not in my speakers because I do what I just told you to do.

21. Remove any effects and reverb (Is #56 Semi-Sweet Hall on yours?). There is already plenty.

When you play these strings in your own user program, you can adjust the volume accordingly from the zone you put them in. I call mine new strings Chiano Strings.

Archived