Virus "C" or TI

kazper

• Members

I've always wanted a Virus since they showed up.

Never jumped on it, put it on the list of things to get someday.

Well There is a Virus "C" around for reasonable $$ but is the TI and it's integration with a computer as a plugin worth the extra difference or is there allot more.

Looking for some insight on the real world differences between the "C" and the TI.

Sounds, is the plugin working good in (PTLE and LOGIC), etc..

Kevin

• Members

I have a TI and use it as a hardware synth. Previously, I owned an Indigo (Virus B engine). I purchased a used Indigo to see how much I liked it before making the major investment in a TI. I liked it. :)

The TI adds graintable synthesis and some other features that are interesting, but not necessarily compelling for the kind of music I do. If you're heavily into "electronic" sounds, effects, noises, glitches, and whatnot, then you'll love the TI.

For me, the true value of the TI is found in multi mode, when doing MIDI sequencing. The TI has completely independent multi effects (reverb, delay, chorus, EQ, phaser, chorus, distortion) for all 16 parts - simultaneously. If, however, you're someone who doesn't do much multi-part sequencing, then this is likely not a big wow for you.

If in doubt, buy the C first. You should be able to re-sell it and recoup your investment should you decide to upgrade to a TI.

• Members

as was said it depends on what your into...being the owner of a waldorf Q and being into making my Q and modular sound as far left as possible - the wavetables alone would be reason enough for me to go with the TI ( as Im sure pighood could concur)...but it depends on your interests!

• Members

being the owner of a waldorf Q and being into making my Q and modular sound as far left as possible - the wavetables alone would be reason enough for me to go with the TI ( as Im sure pighood could concur)

I do indeed.

If you've got the coin, go TI. There are thousands of patches available for free download that showcase its new OS2 strengths, which are very formidable.

• Members

The Ti does really have a broader palette of sounds. The new oscillators can be brighter than the original ones, which many think sound too dark.

I also think that the TI can get more interesting when there are a lot of extreme modulation going on. With the earlier versions you often get a bit messy and digital sound, reminding of sample rate reduction. With the TI you can go further without having this effect.

• Members

I did the same, by buying a Classic for evaluation reasons. I never bought the TI though even I was very close just because of the shortcomings of the Virus oscillators. They tend to have quite some amount of aliasing in them when played at higher pitch. However, the TI is still a very tempting machine and it looks like the price is coming down. Maybe something new at the Musikmesse??

• Members

Maybe something new at the Musikmesse??

I doubt that there is a new version around the corner, other than the new Snow. The Snow uses the same OS as the old TIs and there will, at least, be one more OS-update to the existing TI-range including the Atomizer effect.

• Members

I did the same, by buying a Classic for evaluation reasons. I never bought the TI though even I was very close just because of the shortcomings of the Virus oscillators. They tend to have quite some amount of aliasing in them when played at higher pitch. However, the TI is still a very tempting machine and it looks like the price is coming down. Maybe something new at the Musikmesse??

The classic TI oscillators are the weakest component, indeed. I hope they upgrade these in a future os rev.

On the other hand, the new hypersaw and wavetable oscs are a lot brighter so you can escape the characteristically dark Virus sound on the TI pretty easily if you want.

• Members

Timing using the VC plugin is still too dicey for me for realtime keys. It's ok during tracking but even in "live" mode the latency is variable enough that it messes with my keyboard lines. Maybe if I were a better player I'd get used to it but its still variable enough to make it unusable for me.

• Members

Timing using the VC plugin is still too dicey for me for realtime keys. It's ok during tracking but even in "live" mode the latency is variable enough that it messes with my keyboard lines. Maybe if I were a better player I'd get used to it but its still variable enough to make it unusable for me.

Clicking the 'D' button is necessary for live playing. There is no latency like this, as the sound is routed directly to the analog outs, and not through Virus Control.

• Members

Not surprising - you would face this issue with any synth if you tried to route the audio entirely through your computer and didnt have ultra low latency midi and audio interfaces.

• Members

Not surprising - you would face this issue with any synth if you tried to route the audio entirely through your computer and didnt have ultra low latency midi and audio interfaces.

The problem isn't the overall latency, which is acceptable, it's the variable latency. With software monitoring I can get under 10ms latency, which is fine, but with VC, whether in "Live" mode or using the "D" direct audio function there's enough timing jitter on the usb midi link to throw my playing off.

• Members

Only reason I'd take a C over the TI is if money is tight OR you plan on getting the C and maybe a completely different and complimentary synth (maybe a rompler or Moog LP or MEK).

From the times that I've played the TI, it feels like a B/C with lots of extra functionality, not just a simple "improvement" over the older synths. I rarely use the multi settings on my Indigo because of the inherent limitations. I has much lust for the extra polyphony, better multi settings and separate FX channels.

I actually like the darkness of the B series find that using my Evolver alongside gives me a good offset.

• Members

...using the "D" direct audio function there's enough timing jitter on the usb midi link to throw my playing off.

I have never experienced this, and AFAIK, there is no reason in this case why it should be any different from standard midi?

Archived