Lets talk interfaces

SoundwaveLove

• Members

So I need to make a choice on an interface for my new comp.

Maybe I could pick up a used something for 500?

I was looking at the Maudio 1814, I saw one for $300 but it doesn't seem to have all the feature I want.

I'm not sure if the interface I have in my mind exists, but maybe you guys can help me find it.

I don't see needing more then two balanced inputs with preamp phantom power for mic-ing external instruments, although I'm not opposed to having more. What I do need is at least 4 aux sends for putting external effects on my soft synths. It'd be great if these aux sends had knobs so I could control levels easily.

I also want it to be 24/192K

Where should I start looking?

• Members

So I need to make a choice on an interface for my new comp.

Maybe I could pick up a used something for 500?

I was looking at the Maudio 1814, I saw one for $300 but it doesn't seem to have all the feature I want.

I'm not sure if the interface I have in my mind exists, but maybe you guys can help me find it.

I don't see needing more then two balanced inputs with preamp phantom power for mic-ing external instruments, although I'm not opposed to having more. What I do need is at least 4 aux sends for putting external effects on my soft synths. It'd be great if these aux sends had knobs so I could control levels easily.

I also want it to be 24/192K

Where should I start looking?

The Echo Audiofire 8 sounds right up your alley. It doesn't do 192khz, but it has 8 balanced I/O (obviously), two preamps w/ phantom power (with a universal input so it automatically switches to hiZ for instruments like guitar), a very nice console, and a headphone amp with independent volume control on the front panel. It's also pretty reasonable, I don't remember what I paid for mine but it wasn't too much. I think about $500 is what MAP is, but IIRC I got it for somewhat less than that.

For doing aux sends you just use an I/O pair and configure it in software - no physical controls but the software console is really very handy, and it's easy to run on top of the host.

It's also got MIDI I/O, SPDIF I/O, and wordclock I/O, but I don't use that stuff TBH.

Also, the converters are pretty nice, easily the best in the price range. I believe they're the same as in the fireface, but don't quote me - either way the real-world performance as well as the specs are very nice. :)

Hi SoundWave!

Well, no interface has Aux Sends in that price range.

You might consider those Mackie ONYX mixers or ALESIS multimix machines, which are basically mixers with an audio interface.

Otherwise, if you want to go the software way for aux sends, then the interface needs to have at least 6 or 8 analog outputs and the same amount of inputs.

The M-Audio's FW1814 does not have them so it is not the right interface to buy. Perhaps a MOTU UltraLite !

If you need terrific preamps and the I/O you need, you may try the FocusRite Saffire Pro. I worked with one of those interfaces this same weekend and was very happy with its sound. It does 24-bit/192khz, but It cost more than $500, tough.

• Members

Cloacal-X has the idea. You can get a MAudio Delta 1010 for really cheap now, too, and do the same thing with it. Just use the outputs on any multi-out card as your sends. You can get a Delta 1010lt and just snake it into a patchbay for under $250. Thing is that you have to get off the 192khz thing. That's crazy talk. 24/96 is plenty considering the things we use to play back our audio these days anyway.

• Members

24 bit = good, and most interfaces have it. 192 khz = completely unnecessary. Not only will you not be able to hear the difference, the huge sound files will fill up your hard drive in a matter of days. Maybe if you had the best mic, best preamp, and best converter, you might hear something. But then you would have to ask yourself, after all that money spent, is the music you're recording even worth it? 96 is plenty.

• Members

The Echo Audiofire 8 sounds right up your alley. It doesn't do 192khz, but it has 8 balanced I/O (obviously), two preamps w/ phantom power (with a universal input so it automatically switches to hiZ for instruments like guitar), a very nice console, and a headphone amp with independent volume control on the front panel. It's also pretty reasonable, I don't remember what I paid for mine but it wasn't too much. I think about $500 is what MAP is, but IIRC I got it for somewhat less than that.

For doing aux sends you just use an I/O pair and configure it in software - no physical controls but the software console is really very handy, and it's easy to run on top of the host.

It's also got MIDI I/O, SPDIF I/O, and wordclock I/O, but I don't use that stuff TBH.

Also, the converters are pretty nice, easily the best in the price range. I believe they're the same as in the fireface, but don't quote me - either way the real-world performance as well as the specs are very nice.
:)

Would a Motu 828 firewire work the same way? I saw one used for cheap.

• Members

PCI-based audio interfaces aren't dead yet. And I think the PCI bus is faster than FireWire & USB. Not sure though.

I just got a PCI-based interface. An Aardvark Aark 24. I got it from eBay for $145.00 [it cost nearly 900 bucks when it came out around 1999]. But the company that makes them disappeared. Thank goodness they made ASIO drivers for it before they vanished.

Being a synth user, the only problem I have with it is that it doesn't provide any gain on the inputs [through the software panel] and the recordings are very low in volume. But I shall remedy that soon by buying a mixer. Other than that, the audio quality of this toy is excellent.

frntback-f4fc71af6fe8f31c17342f22ab31b27

• Members
  • Members

No mention of the Presonus stuff, eh? If you can still find a FirePod FP10, that might be a nice one to have. Avoid the FireStudio if you're running Vista though. Don't ask me how I know that.

I'll be using a mac. The edirol seems a bit too budget for such an important piece. of gear, def leaning towards the echo.

• Members

Actually I'll post here what I sent in the PM:

The thing I found was that when I brought up Sonar, it would disable all the windows/wave sounds (such as winamp) and they would not resume on exit of Sonar. It frustrated me to know end. I tried reinstalling, disabling the built-in sound card in my pc (HP) etc. etc, but nothing seemed to work. After arranging to return it I found in the FAQ on the E-MU site that this was "just how it worked" to disable the other sound sources, but it didn't say whether they were supposed to work after closing the app or not.

On top of that, I got the M-Audio Firewire 410 home and found out it had been opened and there was no cable or software -- I now officially hate Guitar Center. It has been returned as well ... so I'm back to Square one and open for suggestions. For now I'm plodding along with my built-in on-the-motherboard sound card.

KAC

Archived