MPC as Internal Synth. Engine??

johnbarnesiii

• Members

I'm looking for a small sequencer, playback editor, & sound module all-in-one, like a full workstation that can do everything, just plug in a kb controller and use it just a like a keyboard...

Its been narrowed down to either the Korg M3 module or MPC. People are saying that MPC is more for sampling, not necessarily synth. engine with internal sounds.

However, the new MPC that is coming out claims to have analog synth. built in. In that case, I can just plug in my controller and its just like a keyboard right, with piano, organ, bass, strings, etc??

Also, I've heard that you can buy sound banks to put into the MPC so that it acts just like any other keyboard when hooked up to a controller. Is this correct, and if so, where do I go to get this?

That being said, which is better for live playback: Akai MPC or Korg M3M?

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

But...are the MPCs capable of working like a rompler, synth engine?

Not really since there is no muliti-layering of samples for velocity but, you can stack four sounds to make thick one shots. Another thing about MPC's is there da convertors are a little dark sounding. They are great for drums because they are heavy on the lows and mids but, can make hits not as bright or open sounding. This is why I sometimes use a MC-909 for hits since it's convertors are more open sounding. I have a MPC2500 and will probably upgrade to a 5000 mainly for the va synth. It will be nice to sometimes build up tracks on the 5000 before going to outboard/soft synths.

:thu:

• Members

But...are the MPCs capable of working like a rompler, synth engine?

Not really. But you may want to ask again in a few months. The JJ OS-2 is currently in beta. I haven't tried it yet but it is supposed to add ADSR amp envelops and a way of setting up and saving multi sampled instruments.

It probably won't be replacing anyone's M3 any time soon but it may bring the MPC 1000/2500 series closer to all-in-one boxes.

Archived