Is the Roland RD700-SX for me?

Divine Inferno

• Members

Hey all

I am a huge keyboard n00b, I am primarily a guitarist/singer and don't have much experience with this kind of thing. I'm basically just a hobbyist and I'm just trying to attain the capability to do decent home-recorded demos and so on and I was looking for a keyboard to write/record with as part of meeting this end.

Basically what I want for now:

Fairly realistic piano sounds

Decent string sounds

Decent drum sounds

Connections for convenient recording

Fairly realistic piano weighted action

I dont want to have to upgrade as soon as im less of a n00b because this secretly sucks or something

Based on these I thought the RD700-SX looked good, with its XLR out, and it felt pretty nice. The sounds I heard weren't particularly great but i heard them through bad monitors and they were still passable.

BUT, since I'm a giant n00b, I was wondering what you guys thought of this unit? How does it rate compared to other stuff out there in terms of sound/ease of use/reliability/etc?

I was really tempted to be stupid and waste my money on the Fantom X8 because i'm dumb that way but I figure I want to record via computer and dont need all those features, plus im bogged down in work/other projects and wouldn't really have time to learn all that complicated {censored} I'm thinking.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Members

I love the piano sounds and keyboard action on my RD700SX - I think it's one of the best portable instruments available for these things. I don't know if this instrument is the answer if you're looking for a "workstation". There are nice drum sounds playing beats accessible using the "rhythm" button, and the string sounds make for nice washy pads. I don't think you'd be able to easily use these elements for sequencing or composition. One possible alternative is to buy the older RD700 or RD300 for less money and then use the leftover cash to get a used Roland XV5080 module. With the right SRX cards an XV5080 will give you 32 MIDI channels and 128 voices of some outstanding string, drum and synth sounds. You can also buy the SRX-11 card and get a higher fidelity version of the "Superior Grand" sample that is one of the main features that distinguishes the RD700SX from the other RDs.

• Members

The SX is a great digital piano.

I am selling mine very soon to get the GX.

The good thing is that the SX has about 80 % of the same tones as the new GX. And you will save at least $500 compared to the spankin new GX

I use the XLR outs 100% of the time on my SX. The SX is also an awesome midi controller- so you will be set as you expand your horizons

• Members

Thanks for the tips you guys.

I love the piano sounds and keyboard action on my RD700SX - I think it's one of the best portable instruments available for these things. I don't know if this instrument is the answer if you're looking for a "workstation". There are nice drum sounds playing beats accessible using the "rhythm" button, and the string sounds make for nice washy pads. I don't think you'd be able to easily use these elements for sequencing or composition. One possible alternative is to buy the older RD700 or RD300 for less money and then use the leftover cash to get a used Roland XV5080 module. With the right SRX cards an XV5080 will give you 32 MIDI channels and 128 voices of some outstanding string, drum and synth sounds. You can also buy the SRX-11 card and get a higher fidelity version of the "Superior Grand" sample that is one of the main features that distinguishes the RD700SX from the other RDs.

I don't know a lot about running a module like the XV5080, do you use midi to control it via a keyboard, or do everything in software, or what? :confused:

Please excuse my n00bery

• Members

Thanks for the tips you guys.

I don't know a lot about running a module like the XV5080, do you use midi to control it via a keyboard, or do everything in software, or what?
:confused:
Please excuse my n00bery

It all depends on what you want to accomplish. When you mentioned wanting good string and drum sounds I assumed you were interested in using a sequencer to compose or create tracks. The XV-5080 is great for something like that - you just run a MIDI cable or cables from your computer or hardware sequencer and the XV5080 can be easily set to give you up to 32 different channels of sounds. You can also just connect a MIDI cable from a keyboard's MIDI out to a module like the 5080 - you'll be able to play its sounds from your keyboard, and you'll be able to create splits or layers using various sounds.

• Members

the Fantom and the RD700 are very different keyboards.

you won't get the synth sounds or the sample pads with the RD

you could buy the Fantom engine($1400) and an 88-key weighted midi keyboard ($400 ish+) and a midi sampler pad($99+)

• Members

I always like to stick to stuff that I can play so I guess I was getting at both. I do want to compose/create tracks but I was thinking to do so by recording different sounds that i play with the keyboard... is that the wrong way to go about it?

the Fantom and the RD700 are very different keyboards.

you won't get the synth sounds or the sample pads with the RD

you could buy the Fantom engine($1400) and an 88-key weighted midi keyboard ($400 ish+) and a midi sampler pad($99+)

That certainly looks like a pretty well priced possibility, could you recommend a good weighted board and sampler in those price ranges?

And thanks again guys

• Members

Weighted 88-key controller:

Midi pad controller:

you can spend more if you would like, at $200 you could get the better Akai midi pads or the Korg PadKontrol

Alright thanks for the advice man, I'll do some reading on stuff like that.

Archived