What do you think of Cakewalk Rapture?

Gribs

• Members

I looked and looked at this software for months, read all about it, watched the available videos, tried the demo and loved the sounds, and despite telling myself that I wouldn't buy anything this month caved finally and went and bought it.

I have been playing with it all evening, taking breaks and posting here, just starting to look at how the presets are built. It is a completely different beast from the other VSTs I own. It definitely opens up a new realm of strange and interesting noise making possibilities.

I seem to be gravitating more and more to soundscape and noise creation.

• Members

I played around with the demo when it was available and thought it was OK, but it's easy to get overwhelmed with too much software.

Best to pick some you really like and get to know them thoroughly.

I've got to agree with bill here. There are so many, both free and commercial and with probably billions and billions (as Sagan would say) of presets that the choice and use can be incomprehensible. That said, I think there are basic features that you can use to compare (e.g. FM synthesis, virtual modular, sample-based, number of oscillators, types of filters, etc) them and make basic choices of which one or two you want to learn in detail. I'm sure many do not have the patience to wade through this though and will just go with whatever is recommended or wins the reader polls. (which is why I asked the question I did here: link )

KAC

• Members

I like Rapture quite a bit. Easy to get good results, better-than-average presets, and not too hard on the DSP...

...But I hate hate HATE having to open a browser to find a sound. And then having to empty unused sounds (which are loaded into the buffer) just to free up DSP, only to reload the desired preset. Give me a [NEXT][PREVIOUS] buttons!

• Members

I tried it briefly and thought it sounded VERY much like the stereotypical softsynth - thin and uninteresting. Never had the slightest inclination to try it again.

Huh? as compared to what?

I find this kind of comment very unuseful as well as in direct contradiction to what others have said. I mean I know it's your opinion, but seems to not fit my experience or at least some others. Maybe you didn't give it a fair chance? I mean you did say briefly...

KAC

• Members

Huh? as compared to what?

I find this kind of comment very unuseful as well as in direct contradiction to what others have said. I mean I know it's your opinion, but seems to not fit my experience or at least some others. Maybe you didn't give it a fair chance? I mean you did say briefly...

KAC

I really don't give a {censored} whether you find it useful, because it doesn't agree with your opinion. I have certainly encountered others who didn't like the sound of this synth, perhaps you should search on somse other forums that are more dedicated to software synths (ever heard of kvraudio?). I've tried an enormous number of software and hardware synths, and I gave you my opinion on this one.

there have been others in this thread who have not been much impressed with this synth, but apparently you tune out other opinions.

• Members

I really don't give a {censored} whether you find it useful, because it doesn't agree with your opinion. I have certainly encountered others who didn't like the sound of this synth, perhaps you should search on somse other forums that are more dedicated to software synths (ever heard of kvraudio?). I've tried an enormous number of software and hardware synths, and I gave you my opinion on this one.

there have been others in this thread who have not been much impressed with this synth, but apparently you tune out other opinions.

My, my what an attitude. I can see why you might reach the conclusion you did. :)

Certainly others (as I indicated) disagree with your quick dismissal (you indicated yourself that it was brief). My conclusion then is that you really don't know what you are talking about so I'll give your opinion all the weight it deserves.

It just ticks me off to no end when people like you dismiss something without even trying it. Clearly that is the case here.

KAC

P.S. you might want to take a look at this review as well as the ones your mention. :)

• Members

Ah, here we go!

:snax:

:) nah. at least not from me, but when people post krap, without anything to back it up, I'll at least point it out.

Hey ... I love snoopy. My son is an advisor to the Arapahoe Rescue Patrol and they are the only group that has official permission to use Snoopy as part of their logo. :)

• Members

Back to the original question... I have it and like it.

The factory waves don't do it justice, though; I'd advise getting the Architecture waves for it.

If you load your own samples, you won't be able to use the ring mod/multi/detune for the element unless you trim your sample length to 3000 samples or less. Do that with some of your own samples, and it can do some pretty cool stuff.

ew

• Members

My, my what an attitude. I can see why you might reach the conclusion you did.
:)

Certainly others (as I indicated) disagree with your quick dismissal (you indicated yourself that it was brief). My conclusion then is that you really don't know what you are talking about so I'll give your opinion all the weight it deserves.

It just ticks me off to no end when people like you dismiss something without even trying it. Clearly that is the case here.

KAC

P.S. you might want to take a look at
this
review as well as the ones your mention.

LOL. Ok. Whatever. Obviously I'm arguing with an experienced, knowledgeable user.

• Members

nah. at least not from me, but when people post krap, without anything to back it up, I'll at least point it out.

Hey ... I love snoopy. My son is an advisor to the Arapahoe Rescue Patrol and they are the only group that has official permission to use Snoopy as part of their logo.

In God's name, what in the world does one need to back up a subjective opinion that a synth sounds thin?

• Members

Hey ew, looks like they have several architecture products (CE, UNI, Volume 1 etc).

Are you suggesting a particular one, or all of them?

Thanks for the link, looks like they've worked with Cakewalk, Native Instruments, etc.

KAC

For most things, the CE edition is what you want; they're .wavs.

You do get a crossgrade discount towards any of the others, though; I've owned the Absynth version since it came out, so I got a crossgrade on my CE edition.

ew

• Members

well geez ..

I will say most softsynths ive come across are tuned a bit thin in the presets. this is the case more often than not i've found. I personally don't think you should judge anything until you've loaded up a blank patch and tried your hand at making one.

This will easily show if you like the GUI / layout and the raw sound without all the "presentation" presets.

that's just my opinion.

droolz could have posted a specific, but it's just as lame to come back with thanks but no thanks. It's also a peeve of mine to see the one guy who says "not for me" get pounded either for nea saying or because the original poster wasnt spoonfed enough.

• Members

I considered getting Rapture when Cakewalk was having a special on it as part of Sonar upgrade. I didn't try the demo, but I did listen to all of the clips they had available. Overall, I just got a big giant "meh" feeling. Like someone else had said, there wasn't anything in those demos that set it apart. So I didn't buy it.

Archived