Software equivalents

Tony Scharf

• Members

As software is becoming more and more a part of my studio, I have moved more and more hardware out. But I still have a few items that I am wondering if software equivalanets even exist for. The main synths in question are my V-Synth GT and my Korg Radias. What is out there that covers what they do, particularly the S+S and wild modulation.

Massive comes close, but it cannot process Samples or any user waves at all. I am sure I could *build* a Radias with reaktor...but thats going to be a hell of a lot of work...

Suggestions?

(p.s.. please please please dont turn this into a software v.s. hardware thread. Ive held of posting this for a while simply because I dont want to start that again...)

• Members

For the V-Synth you're going to have to look toward a modular softsynth like Zebra2 or KarmaFX to get the sound creation, modulation and fx options that thing has. Zebra has lots of XY pad functionality... though no softsynth has the D-Beam/Timetrip VariPhrase stuff that I know of.

• Members

I'd say albino 3; I hated it for a long time until I deleted most of the presets and started from scratch. It has enough features and modulation to compete with hardware VAs, IMHO. It has quite a few DWGS style samples in there too ..

S+S though, I come up short on software, which is why I stick with my Micro X, although you may want to try the Legacy Collection DE or the Waldorf PPG software.

• Members

Maybe you wouldn't have to. Perhaps someone's already built something that does what you want? I dunno, I don't have Reaktor, but I admit that it has an appeal.

Ive looked, and I have found many of the components of a radias, but nothing that did what that box does in one box. There are few synths with the sample playback component that I can find AND the VA voice structure. Maybe I am wrong though..

• Members

Isn't the basic V-synth more like a sample/sound mangling plus analog modeling machine? Would software that uses resynthesis to generate the basic wavetables/waveforms that you then shape, morph, filter, and otherwise process fit the bill for the resynthesis part? I just got Cakewalk Rapture today for doing that sort of thing. It has a sh*t-ton of envelopes and step sequencers for modulation and a whole bunch of DSP processing (tube drive, bit reduction, rectification, soft and hard clipping, etc.) you can put in your signal chain for further sound modification.

I agree with Metro that Albino 3 is a great hardwired VA type synth that might go a long way towards making sounds like the Radias.

I own Zebra 2 and have tried to get into it a few times. I have programmed several sounds from layered wave morphing to FM multi-bell things, but I find the interface difficult for my personal work flow. For some reason a full modular like Vaz feels more natural to me.

If you like FM then FM8 really is very nice. I tried the Rob Papen Blue demo and liked his presets and made a few basic bell type FM sounds. I already own FM8 though, so I never bought Blue.

Reaktor is more than just a software modular, it is a programming environment.

• Members

Well, I have not demo'd rapture, so Ill have to check that out. I have quite a bit of software already - mainly the NI Komplete products. They go a long way, but just not quite all the way.

Actually, so far I am inclined to say that at this time there isnt anything that can be considered a direct replacement for the V-Synth nor the Radias, and that reinforces my decision to hold on to them.

Almost everything else (non analog) is going to go though, except for a few keys I keep for sentimental reasons (Prophecy and Nod G2)

• Members

My school of thought is software = studio; hardware = live

I would half agree, but I am only speaking in terms of my studio. Going live is going to happen with my new project, but thats going to be a whole other story. Ill probaby just take one workstation type board and call it done.

• Members

I don't think you're going to find any *direct* replacements for the V-Synth or the Radias in software. I find I can get pretty V-Synthy timbres out of Absynth's granular sample oscillators and various Reaktor ensembles like Nanowave or a few simple homegrown things but clearly none of these is a 1-1 substitute.

The only thing I really liked about the Radias was the modulation sequencers and I can get close enough to those for my purposes with the step sequencers in Massive and Surge but, again, you gain and lose features in the translation. The Carbon and Photone synths in Reaktor have a recordable envelope mod source that works a lot like the Radias mod sequencers too.

I think you'll find it hard to replace hardware with software if you focus on the specific feature lists but if you focus instead on the musical purpose the tools serve for you it might be much easier.

• Members

I use mostly software and the only two hardware synths I have are the V-Synth and a SH-101... both because they do things that software isn't able. Even the SH-101 is in debatable territory but I'm kinda picky about my low end and analog handles that where digital fails. The V-Synth's control surface is unique and I hope hardware manufacturers keep this trend going.... they'll have to in order to compete with software.

Definitely check out KarmaFX modular... it is insanely good, is inexpensive, and has a very comfortable UI. I've tried to get into Zerbra2 as well and haven't been able to wrap my head around the UI either.

• Members

I don't see how you're going to replace the V-Synth GT's XY pad and twin D-beams in software.

There are things similar to the XY pad available in generic midi controllers but it would be tempting to keep the V-Synth around just as a control surface. Anyway, as nice as software can be I think it's still worthwhile to keep a few bits of hardware around for variety and for those times when you don't want to deal with the computer.

• Members

I don't have a V-Synth or a Radias, but I have some recommendations.

I would strongly second the suggestion for KarmaFX above. It's keeping me sane while I'm without a fully functional modular. It has some nice generator modules like an additive oscillator, pad oscillator (which is a pseudo wavetable oscillator,) standard VA types, sample-based oscillator, etc. There are some other nice features, like an FM controller for doing some nearly DX-style FM/PM depending on how you patch it, etc. etc. Very fun, very flexible, and relatively inexpensive.

I don't know how you use you Radias, but if you use it for "VA" purposes, you might want to check out Admiral Quality Poly-Ana. I suggest grabbing the latest 1.1 RC (which you can find in a link in a thread on KVRAudio.) Version 1 is great, but 1.1 has a lot of cool additional features. This is a very thick and naturally classic/vintage sounding digital. It's a lot of fun to use too. The first thing you'll probably want to do though is switch off the cool looking but hard to read modulation knobs in exchange for the drop-down box mode. It's a little easier to get around on it that way. It's definitely an analog emulation/simulation, but it has a nice character to it, so like I said, it depends on what you want to replace about the Radias.

My next suggestion would be to grab the freeware synth Helix from Audjoo. It's a wavetable/waveshaping synth with a metric ton of modulation abilities and cool features. It sounds incredible too. The GUI takes a little getting used to. Best free synth I've heard to date.

You may want to demo Gladiator too. I have Firebird, and it's great, but I think Gladiator would suit you more if you're trying to replace some V-Synth functionality. Perhaps Pigfellow could elaborate? (I think I remember him mentioning buying it.)

Even if the above don't replace the items in question for you, they're still incredibly nice packages for cheap and free...

Edit: I just noticed that Poly-Ana 1.1 has been officially released. You won't need to dig around for the RC link. http://www.admiralquality.com/download/?product=Poly-Ana

• Members

My school of thought is software = studio; hardware = live

I was just having this conversation with my co-producer this afternoon - ie working out what kind of format to do on the electronic side, and therefore how to restrict ourselves in terms of what we use (because we need a live sound thats as close to our studio sound as posible) - ie whether to play as much as possible, or just plain accept the fact that actually its all too bloody complicated to play and mix at the time time and so do what Underworld do - just mix it live and let various guest vocalists and other musicians deal providing the audience with a focus.

So in the end, were coming around to mixing it live, so in that case - we can use any damn thing for production for all the electronic side - so the soft vs hard for live argument just goes away completely and just use whatever we like the sound of and it available/can be borrowed/rented at recording time etc.

I guess in the end it depends on your format / genre etc. If you have enough players to do it all - then fine - hardware for live, whatever for studio.

• Members

As software is becoming more and more a part of my studio, I have moved more and more hardware out. But I still have a few items that I am wondering if software equivalanets even exist for. The main synths in question are my V-Synth GT and my Korg Radias. What is out there that covers what they do, particularly the S+S and wild modulation.

Massive comes close, but it cannot process Samples or any user waves at all. I am sure I could *build* a Radias with reaktor...but thats going to be a hell of a lot of work...

Suggestions?

(p.s.. please please please dont turn this into a software v.s. hardware thread. Ive held of posting this for a while simply because I dont want to start that again...)

Virsyn Cube, Tera and Poseidon - http://www.virsyn.de/en/E_Home/e_home.html -

• Members

Every time somebody posts a request like this he gets every popular softsynth in response. Maybe if you go into a little more detail about *exactly* what matters to you about the V-Synth and Radias you'll get more helpful responses?

Actually the ONLY Softsynths I use are Reason 4, Dimension Pro, Reaktor 5 (just the supplied ensembles - more than enough) and Zebra 2.

The Virsyn stuff would IMHO cover most of the sonic territory he is after even though I do not use them myself.

Archived