Question for Q (Q+) users/arpeggiator

droolmaster0

• Members

Strange that I never messed around with the Q arpeggiator before...but the last couple of nights, I've been having fun with the Q+ arpeggiator, but I just cannot figure out how to sync it to midi clock. Is this indeed possible? I have no problem syncing the lfos to midi clock, but I just haven't found a way to sync the arpeggiator. Probably something simple that I'm missing?

• Members

I have a Q keyboard and it is totally possible to sync it to Live...ive done it many times...however one thing I have never been able to do is output the arpeggio data as midi notes you actually hear- it will only out put the keyboard (local) data of the 4 note chord I am holding

• Members

actually syncing it to drums in a DAW and playing with the arp on hold setting is a blast...lot of fun...but I was never one to actually go in and write intricate stuff...though the arp is very powerful for those who like doing that type of thing...too tedious for me....the sequencer however is not near as much fun as the arp...ill take my much less powerful doepfer A-155 step sequencer any day when it comes to fun factor...wait a minute ...doesnt the Q have a CV in.....I forgot...Ill have to revisit that feature...:p

• Members

I have a Q keyboard and it is totally possible to sync it to Live...ive done it many times...however one thing I have never been able to do is output the arpeggio data as midi notes you actually hear- it will only out put the keyboard (local) data of the 4 note chord I am holding

Sounds to me like you are using OS 3.02 which has a known bug about the Arp not being sent out via Midi.

But make sure that you set the "Arp Send" to "On" in the Global Menu...

Downgrade to 3.00 or 3.01 and you'll get your Arps' back.... 16 beautiful ARPS. One for each Midi Channel..

Cheers,

Dave

• Members

Well, I figured that it COULD be done - what I'm not getting is what I'm missing. I didn't see a setting in the arpeggiator itself, the global clock is set to 'auto', but it sure ain't syncing. So there must be something else.

Hi Gene,

I have a QRack, so things may be different, but I just set the Global Clock to "Auto" as you have and all is fine,.. If I set it to "Internal" or "Send" or "Auto-Through" it doesn't track as expected. But as soon as I put it into "Auto" it's back in sync.

I can then take the MPC 4000's BPM setting and turn the jog wheel and listen to it slow down or speed up.

Sorry that I couldn't help, other then cofirming that you are doing the correct steps.

Are you using the Q+? Maybe there's a bug wtih it's OS? Check the Waldorf List possibly...

Dave

• Members

the sequencer however is not near as much fun as the arp...ill take my much less powerful doepfer A-155 step sequencer any day when it comes to fun factor...wait a minute ...doesnt the Q have a CV in.....I forgot...Ill have to revisit that feature...
:p

The A-155 might beat it with "fun" factor, but the Q's Sequencer is one of the few

Polyphonic Step Sequencers out there.... It's not really too difficult once you know how it

works.. Reminds me of how the JX3P's sequencer works.

One nice thing that the Q's Step Sequencer is useful for.

Program in 8 Different Chords into the first 8 Steps.

Stop the Sequencer on it, so it's not "playing" the sequence.

Now press the "Step 1" button and you'll here the 1st Chord as long as you hold the button, now move onto to "Step 2" or "Step 3" and play it's button. You'll get another chord.

Now this is GREAT for those of us non Piano players when playing live.... I can play all my chords for my song from the various buttons and not flub any of them :) Of course

you don't get velocity and that type of thing.. but I get my chords how I like them, if I'm wanting to play live...

Dave

• Members

Sounds to me like you are using OS 3.02 which has a known bug about the Arp not being sent out via Midi.

But make sure that you set the "Arp Send" to "On" in the Global Menu...

Downgrade to 3.00 or 3.01 and you'll get your Arps' back.... 16 beautiful ARPS. One for each Midi Channel..

Cheers,

Dave

are you serious...and all this time I thought it could not be done...where can I download it from?? What would I be losing though by downgrading?

• Members

The A-155 might beat it with "fun" factor, but the Q's Sequencer is one of the few

Polyphonic Step Sequencers out there.... It's not really too difficult once you know how it

works..

yeah, it took a while for me to figure out how it really worked...then I put the manual away and I finally figured it out (areas of the q manual are fine while other areas are far from it)..and your right it is powerful...the chord per step ' deal is super cool...but it seemed to me to take a lot of "push button backa nd forth" and really "program" it where for me that is great for getting work done...but it just didnt do it for me in the FUN department the way the analog step sequencers do...where you can change things immediatly....Ill have to look at the Qs seq again.

• Members

Hi Gene,

I have a QRack, so things may be different, but I just set the Global Clock to "Auto" as you have and all is fine,..

yes thats all I recall doing to get it to sync as well...thats why I didnt elaborate on genes original question...cause other then the auto setting I don't recall any other hidden parameter ...but its been a while...been stuck on my modular...:love:

• Members

I was in error about the lfo - actually that is not syncing to clock either. I must have been remembering the Q rack that I sold right before the Q+ came. I cannot get the Q+ to react to midi clock at all. I've tried Logic and Cubase. I bypassed my midi interface entirely and connected directly to the Octopus sequencer while sending midi clock. Global clock setting to auto - but nothing. I'm beginning to conclude that there is no possible error that I could be making. {censored}.

• Members

Well, I got it working AND it turned out not to be user error - a nice combo. I concluded that I was indeed doing everything right (after all, there really isn't much to it other than one setting and sending the midi clock), and I couldn't find any evidence in my searches of a known bug (and this would be a pretty big one, I think - at least one mention should have popped up) - So, I said what the hell and reinstalled firmware 3.54, and it worked immediately. There must have been something screwy in the firmware...somewhere.

Archived