Playing more then one MIDI channel

liveli_hood

• Members

How many ways can more then one midi channel played through a keyboard without a sequencer? I'm not sure why I'd want to, except to have different voices available without the range predetermined. Midi merge with three outs? How are the channels set if so? There are specialized midi kits, but what is available off the shelf that would take care of that? Hopefully without programming so it's set channels 1-3 or 1-4 and still keep the channels separate. Just curious. Thanks!

• Members

Thank you, drew. I have read up to four elements can go into a performance. Those sounds occur on one channel. If I wanted to effect other modules I'd need to go to different channels to avoid overlapping the sounds.

To keep the channels separate isn't so imperative. Just steering myself in a direction to lend some ease to putting down tracks, should the time come.

I bought the rack just before the motif xs. What I have left are a few small work stations, instead of having the ability to call up a midi channel. If three or four channels could be used, I reasoned, an ability to make music would improve. Thank you again

• Members

If I'm understanding you correctly, most workstations will do this. The Motif ES has 4 midi "zones" in master mode (XS may have more) which will let you play up to 4 channels at once from one keyboard

drew

Actually I think , Unless I am mistaken, the Motif ES has 4 ports which basically means 4*16 = 64 midi channels.

• Members

That sounds reasonable... I'd hate to think my Alesis QS7.1 was more advanced than current workstations.

Actually I think , Unless I am mistaken, the Motif ES has 4 ports which basically means 4*16 = 64 midi channels.

The QS allows all 16 MIDI channels to play simultaneously. You could create 16 separate splits on the keyboard, you could overlay them, you could have other controllers playing the various channels.... of course, with up to 4 voices per program you'd max out the 64-note poly pretty quickly.

Archived