Looking for a knobby/tweak-easy polysynth with MIDI for 'prog rock' sounds

keithbarrette

• Members

I currently have a Roland Alpha Juno 2, and I find myself not playing it much because sound design is a pain - I want to be able to reach out and grab a knob labeled 'resonance' rather than having to scroll through menus.

I'm looking for something in the $400 price range (new or used) that has a simple interface that will do generic "prog rock" analog sounding leads and basses, and function well as a MIDI controller. Keys are not my primary instrument, so this will be the only keyboard in the house (hence the controller requirement)

The Roland JD-800 comes to mind. If the Moog Rouge had MIDI and was polyphonic, it might fit the bill :) What else is out there?

• Members

Though not attractive vissually, the earlier mentioned Roland SH-201 would be good choice. As would Nord lead 2x, & Novation synths. LOts of knobs, sliders etc for easy on the fly tweaking with little or no sub menu diving. Cept for the Roland, the other choices mentioned would be for used units.

• Members

you could always pick up a rack module of a Roland Jd-990 or JV series and insert a Vintage Card - great sounds and will keep within your budget, the Emu Vintage or Classic Keys module will also be well within your budget but I prefer the Roland - sorry but you won't get the knobs.

Archived