What keyboard will give me what I need?

trip272

• Members

Hello. I have never bought a keyboard before so excuse me if I sound somewhat uninformed about the topic. I am looking for a keyboard/synth. That is... I want to be able to have piano / organ sounds and edit them as well as analog sounding sounds. Customization is important! I dont need or want the piano/instrument sounds to be super realistic as im not trying to hide the fact that im playing a keyboard and not a piano.

I really like the microkorg but it does not have a piano sound as far as im aware (but the organ sound is nice). The alesis ion looks nice as well but i believe it is discontinued. Ideally my dream keyboard is

• Members

Neither the Microkorg or IOn will be suitable for you. Since they are pure virtual analog synths and thus not designed to create realistic voices like piano. Though kewl synthy pianoish voices could be made with. A rompler synth is what your wanting in all likelyhood. based on sound samples they can create realistic voices of real instruments like pianos. Theres tons of diff real pianos with diff voices out there. I'm not a piano fan, much more likes organs, harpsichords, and such along with of course pure synth sounds. Anyway a rompler that has good variety of pure synth sounds including FX, pads would prob be best choice for you. Find one thats oriented to electronica but which also has useable for you pianos & other realistic voices (perhaps also tweaking those to taste) might be best choice. Whats your budget?

BTW, between microkorg & Ion I think the korg has a fuller voice and better presets for starting to mess about with modding to taste and creating new voices with. If a synthy pianoish voice would satisfy, the the microkorg might work well. Due to it having much more waveform choices then most VA synths.

• Members

No question-

A used Roland JV1080 and your choice of new controller keyboard.

1. Ridiculous amounts of sounds ALL editable.

2. Expansion cards to add other sounds as your wallet provides.

3. Great synth/pianos, organs, strings, psuedo analog, etc...

4. 16 channel multi-timbral ( 16 sounds at the same time )

5. hooked up to a sequencer, you will be able to make ENTIRE songs from bass to drums to strings etc- entire arrangements. It has guitar sounds too but lets be honest- synth guitar sounds SUCK! (minus pedal steel types)

Easily way under 600 or around 600 WITH an 88 key controller. Theres a reason they sold a jillion of them!

Trust me. Pro sounds for a non pro price! Like 200 to 250 for the JV1080. And since its discontinued the expansion cards are REALLY cheap! I have a JV2080(larger screen and more expansion slots) and when I need a sound, its definitely got one I could use! Ive got 8 synths and I promise you won't be let down. DO NOT buy this new analog modelling cheapie BS UNLESS its a secondary synth or you are purley electronica/dance. Its just the "hot item" right now!

Personally I prefer the Jd990 (its predecessor) BUT its very limited on polyphony and sound storage relatively speaking.

Archived