Looking at a used synth tonight, what shoud I check

cvogue

• Members

Besides whether all the keys work!

Basically I'm a guitar player just getting into synths, and it'll be used for home use for my 9 year old's piano.

Thanks for any insight.
:thu:

Post up the synth model, but generally:

1. Sounds are heard when keys are pressed

2. Patches change when buttons are pressed

3. All sliders, knobs etc work as intended

4. MIDI is sent and received properly

• Members

For a good home keyboard that will primarily be used for piano, I like these Yamahas:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/ModelSeriesListLE/0,,CTID%25253D205200%252526CNTYP%25253D,00.html

I'm not really sure what the difference is between the YGP and DGX series (likely marketing,) but I played the DGX-620 a few weeks ago, and it's quite nice.

• Members

In addition to making sure all the keys play, make sure the velocity is consistent across them (e.g. notes played softly play soft, notes struck hard play loud, consistently across the keys). Check aftertouch as well, while holding note(s), press the keys down harder and see if the sound changes (vibrato, tone changes, etc.). Not all presets necessarily take advantage of aftertouch though so make sure to test it across multiple presets.

See that all the presets are intact. If the synth's internal battery is dead, the memory could be scrambled.

Also, make sure the knobs, sliders, and buttons all work, and the LCD or LED display(s) are readable.

• Members

I used to have one of those. Not a bad board for someone just starting out.

Try to hook it up to a stereo amp - see if both L and R channels work.

Make sure your sustain pedal works. (Make sure it comes with one - if not, they're cheap, but your son will need one.)

Archived