yamaha motif xs vs. logic studio

thedude5000

• Members

trying to decide to buy, which should i go with in this situation money is not an object. it is between the motif xs and logic studio, basically with the great sounds of the motif, is it better sound wise than the sofy synth sounds of the logic studio program, and what else is better or weaker between the two

• Members

I found Logic a very poor substitute for a ROMpler.

It depends on the plugins/software instruments you have or need. Some, like Pianoteq, are better than any rompler IMO (Pianoteq also works standalone). Really fine software can be much better than the rompler equivalent, if there is one. Still, a good rompler is very handy, not just for performing but to give your computer's processor a break. I use Logic and my main rompler is an XV-5050. So yes, get both. :)

PS Some of the Logic sounds are excellent.

• Members

Dang, Logic's synths like ES2, Sculpture, and Ultrabeat (not to mention the others) are great, but the Motif has Yamaha Motif sounds. If you want and like the Motif sounds you should get it. Logic will give you a whole studio setup in a box and the synths included are awesome.

I don't see either a substitute for the other.

• Members

Logic Studio : $500

Motif XS : $2199

If money's not an issue, get both?

IMHO, with personal computer based music you need to pony up some big money up front to buy a strong platform, which could include items like:

-- Apple Mac Pro computer

-- Apple Cinema Display

-- Pro Audio Interface (like an Apogee Ensemble or MOTU 828mk3)

-- Logic Studio

Once you invest in such a powerful computer platform, the cost to add more virtual instruments is relatively minor.

Software on personal computers takes advantage of the very large screen "real estate" which a workstation just can't match. On the other hand, a hardware workstation like the Motif XS provides an immediate solution -- it takes seconds to power up and start making music.

Finally, the more expensive synths and workstations are the only way you can get the high-end keybeds; the keybed actions of your typical "no sound" USB controller keyboard pale in comparison.

I agree with Yoozer. If money is "no object" buy both. Then buy a Roland Fantom-G when it comes out. Then buy a Korg M3 Module. This way you will be totally covered.

• Members

Another point, depending on how much you're going to be sequencing, you can take your tracks really far with Logic. So many different tools and options. Especially with tutorials you can buy for it, the learning curve becomes quite small for what's in there.

If you want a decent HW sequencer, the Yamaha should be fine. I know I was really glad to switch from my RS7000 to Logic though, so much more flexible and it doesn't hold me back like the RS did (for my music).

Archived