The Oasys 8 hour update

ChromaLord

• Members

Just spent an entire day and $650 to update my Oasys.

I guess its worth it if I really use the new sounds and modelers.

What I don't understand is their pricing. You get close to 800 meg of horn samples for $150, but its $250 for the MARGINAL DX7 clone. Don't they know you can DL those for free on the web? The Poly Six/MS20 modeler is way cool and the easiest thing to use on the Oasys.

But {censored} man, I had to burn like a dozen CDs to do installs, wait for authorization codes, make three separate CC purchases, and wait for huge DLs as well as CD burns, countless code entering and installs- took the ENTIRE day.

What they SHOULD do is notify registered owners via email they have updates and if interested submit your Public ID#( to those who don't what this is its like an internal serial# for the Oasys) and your CC# and then send you the CDs.

BTW, the horns and winds are have great fidelity but their not multi-sampled!!

• Members

What they SHOULD do is notify registered owners via email they have updates and if interested submit your Public ID#( to those who don't what this is its like an internal serial# for the Oasys) and your CC# and then send you the CDs.

Korg DOES send out emails to registered OASYS owners after each OS update is released. Also, with the latest OS update and release of EXs3, Korg even sent out the EXs3 Brass & Woodwind Sample CD in a DVD case with a very professional cover on it.

Each update email contains a link that goes directly to the OASYS section of the KorgUser.net website. When at the website, you sign in, then download the update or buy the EXi instruments at the online store. If you are not getting these emails, either Korg has an incorrect email address for you, or the emails are getting blocked.

The last OS update v1.3.1 with EXs3 was available 2.5 months ago. LAC-1 has been available for 1.5 years, and MOD-7 has been available for 4 months.

I am sorry you had so much trouble, but the update process (and I have done all of them) just really isn't that hard.

• Members

Damn, Chroma...I had a much easier time of it. Did most of my updates in one afternoon, no multiple burns, etc...

BTW, Mod-7 is a lot deeper than a DX ever dreamed. In fact its my favorite Oasys engine at the moment. It's more complex than the SY/TG/77/99 even...not only because of its use of samples as FM modulators but its routing flexibility and pristine samplerate. Have a closer look, bro.

Very fun stuff. :thu:

• Members

but its $250 for the MARGINAL DX7 clone. Don't they know you can DL those for free on the web?

If you knew, why'd you spend the cash? :confused:

This also shows the weakness of the OASYS - no trial versions. Seeing that there's a computer inside and the environment is completely controlled trial versions should be trivial - no chance of 'm getting hacked.

• Members

Actually, there
are
trial versions of all the optional synth engines included in the OS updates...there are also trial versions of the optional samplesets for download as well.

Yep! You can play all the sounds, without having to buy any of the new engine authorization numbers. An lfo causes the volume to slowly fade in and out. When you authorize a particular engine or sample set, it is removed.

MOD-7 is my fave of the optional engines. Very deep.

• Members

Are you on slow dial-up, Chroma? You and your OASYS should be registered on Korg User Net OASYS (https://www.korguser.net/oasys/index.asp). You should also be receiving emails alerting you to each OS update and other OASYS EX offerings and the best way to go about retrieving them. As was pointed out, the recent OS updates included demo versions of LAC-1 (Legacy Analog Collection), MOD-7, and now the Brass and Woodwinds EXs.

Saying MOD-7 is a marginal DX7 cone is rather myopic indeed. I suspect many MOD-7 users might provide the following analogy: DX7 is to MOD-7 as a skateboard is to a Corvette.

I'm wondering whether you have registered and participate at Karma Lab Forums (http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/index.php?s=) or Korg Forums (http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php). There's tons of support at either site, including from savvy OASYS veterans, the design team, R&D (Brandon & Dan), and Jerry the K, the head honcho from Korg USA.

By the sounds of it, you've been missing out on quite a bit.

• Members

This also shows the weakness of the OASYS - no trial versions. Seeing that there's a computer inside and the environment is completely controlled trial versions should be trivial - no chance of 'm getting hacked.

As Carbon111 stated, there ARE trial versions of the EXis automatically installed with the corresponding OS updates. They are fully functional except the sound fades out periodically.

They ARE trivial due to the OASYS Digital Rights Management implementation. If you want to buy an EXi, what you purchase at the KorgUserNet Online store is an Authorization Code.

The DRM system is really your "classic" Challenge/Response system, where everything ultimately is tied to an OASYS hardware ID (called the "Public ID"), which is specific to each OASYS unit.

• Members

So once you have the Oasys, you have to keep putting money into it as well? Man, I am working too hard.

That's what it seems. But it's understandable since the OASYS is the end-all-be-all of synths. A few hundred dollars here and there for new ways to use its massive engine is pretty good business, but frustrating the consumers.

I think the initial investment is too steep to justify purchasing one. If the price point were a few thousand dollars lower, I'd be all over that and happily shell out money in hundred-dollar (or so) increments.

But alas...$7500 is just too damn much to keep pouring money into.

IF I could afford it, though, I'd buy it.

• Members

No, you don't "have' to keep puttiing money into it. However, adding new features to an OASYS is no different than adding expansions or other add-ons to a Fantom or Motif. I guess that's part of how the music manufacturers get a bit more out of us.

• Members

No, you don't "have' to keep puttiing money into it. However, adding new features to an OASYS is no different than adding expansions or other add-ons to a Fantom or Motif. I guess that's part of how the music manufacturers get a bit more out of us.

Also, from a consumer's standpoint, it keeps the product relevant!

Though, I don't think the OASYS has a problem staying relevant.

• Members

Sure, I understand that. Honestly, I'm one of the few who would gladly pay for synth OS updates, just didn't understand the scope of maintaining the Oasys long-term.

• Members

1st of all what does having an Oasys have to do with owning a PC OR a MAC? I see no relevance in that comment whatsoever. You must own a computer to the perform the upgrade in the 1st place-MORON!

I have 8 meg per second hi speed cable. My product has been properly registered form day one (yet no emails form Korg) {censored}, I used to be a bonafied Korg endorser.

I'm VERY Mac saavy and I totally disagree within anyone saying they could completely update the Oasys (including new authorizations, OS updates, new plug-ins and sounds) in an hour from version 1.1.0 to 1.3.It's simply not possible.

To address the the ignorant person who chastised me for buying a $250 plug-in: The demo version simply did not work on my Oasys, I had to purchase (non-refundable) the access code just to check it out. I don't trust their website demo.

Archived