woohoo! My first experience with a scammer

mytee2.0

• Members

Ive placed my waldorf Q on craigslist and the first person that was interested is/was a scammer. Dont worry, I didnt fall for it :)

heres the add.

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/msg/590433440.html

first email from "francis tope"...

Hello how are you doing i wanted to know if your Waldorf Q rack synthesizer that you posted on here is still available for sale, get back to me with the full information about it, how long has it been used and whats is the lease priced you can go,get back to me as soon as you can,cos am seriously interested in buying it asap. thanks

I was already convinced he was a scammer, so my response was pretty curt, or kurt... however you spell that word.

still available, $700 plus shipping, its yellow, comes with the power supply and manual, Ive had it for 3 years.

his response.

Thanks for your mail and i will like to affirm that i am really interested in your items and will like to inform you that my only mode of paying you is by mailing you certified bank check and if you are ok with that... you can get back to me with your home address.. Payee name that will be on check and a valid phone number ( no voice mail number) ... and as soon as you receive the check and i will now send my shipper for the pickup of the item asap.... thanks

now 10000% convinced....

my response.

I can not give out my home address, or my phone number at this juncture. How can I make sure that I can trust you? Im going to have to be honest and say that I am a little concerned.

Would you mind providing me proof that you are trustworthy? What church do you belong to?

hopefully this is going to be a fun exchange! :cop:

updates to follow of course....

• Members

"and whats is the lease priced" I'm assuming that English is not this scammers first language.

I placed my Electribe on Craigslist before selling it on eBay. I received a few scam emails as well - plus a few low-ball offers.

• Members

Unfortunately it's important to frequently remind everyone that you never accept a certified check by mail and you never send the "remaining balance" to the shipping company via Western Union. (The way you can tell it's a scam is that before long you'll be told that the buyer wants to send you an extra $500 for shipping and have you send that to the shipping company via Western Union after you deposit their certified check. The day after you deposit the check your bank will let you withdraw the funds. A week later your bank will let you know it bounced and hold you responsible for the money, possibly even prosecute you for passing bad checks.)

Wasting the time and resources of scammers is becoming a popular internet hobby - check out 419eater.com.

If you are going to really get into it with one of these guys make sure none of your personal details have been revealed - it's better to start with a non traceable email (such as a Gmail address). These people are criminals, and sometimes the ones in Nigeria have associates working nearby.

• Members

Usually when you tell them you won't ship until the check has completely cleared your bank (3-4 weeks) they go away without a word. Practically every time I post anything of value on Craigslist I get something like this. Stick to face-to-face cash deals and you will have fewer problems.

• Members

Oh man, is that for real?.. I can't believe these guys actually find someone to hold the sign. Too funny.

I actually did that early on around 2000 when I started experiencing crap like that. I pulled a pretty good one on some dude and it was just funny e-mailing back and forth.

Cheap entertainment :D

But anyways, when selling it's always your way or the highway and you're safe. When buying, seller's standards need to match yours.

That site :D

• Members

These scams, usually from the Dark Continent, are easily recognized now. I don't bother to answer them and trash any such emails immediately. Don't waste your time, unless you want to have some fun jerking these guys around. I know one woman has a full blog on what she did to a few of them, tying up their time for months before they gave up on her. Sorry, I don't have the link for that, but the read is just a riot.

• Members

Not tourable??? I guess the likes of Tony Banks, Keith Emerson, Herbie Hancock, Jordan Rudess, William James Adams, Jr. Rick Wakeman, John Paul Jones, just to name a few, are all wet behind the ears then.

• Members

I'll reiterate that you are much better off starting out anonymously and revealing no personal information if you're going to mess with a West African internet scammer. While they seem like harmless buffoons once you know what they're up to there have been several cases of victims being tricked into traveling to Nigeria to pick up their "consignment of cash" and then being kidnapped or killed.

It's also worth mentioning that anytime you choose to accept a check from a foreign national it's important to first get some clear documentation of this individual's identity. You simply must have them fill out and then be photographed holding an ID-10-T form.

(The goal here is to get a collection of photos of scammers all holding up filled in forms that say in big bold letters "ID10T"

• Members

Not tourable??? I guess the likes of Tony Banks, Keith Emerson, Herbie Hancock, Jordan Rudess, William James Adams, Jr. Rick Wakeman, John Paul Jones, just to name a few, are all wet behind the ears then.

HUH?:freak::freak::freak:

If this is in response to the Oasys thread- pulling out the cream of the crop is ridiculous- they don't make up the MAJORITY....:rolleyes: Of COURSE it can be toured with but if its your main investment in your studio- the risk is NOT WORTHY. But Ive only toured with Korg for 10 years- idiot... And EVERY newer board gets broken. Not built to last.:cop:

• Members

I listed a 1990 GMC full sized Jimmy SUV on craigslist, and the 1st reply I got was something similar. They wanted me to SHIP a full sized truck. I was only asking 800 bucks for it- it would cost more than that to ship it. My ad even said "local only".

• Members

Watershed day for me. After being a member since the outset, I closed my paypal and ebay accounts today. Reason being is that one of our employees was scammed hard this week using his business CC. While the paypal window clained a $19 charge, it came through as $1219. To thier credit, PP is resolving it, but I'm done.

• Members

Watershed day for me. After being a member since the outset, I closed my paypal and ebay accounts today. Reason being is that one of our employees was scammed hard this week using his business CC. While the paypal window clained a $19 charge, it came through as $1219. To thier credit, PP is resolving it, but I'm done.

Come May, it's going to get much much worse.

• Members

I would have had the same exact concerns, but I totally and utterly did not get the church part? Is it supposed to be a joke, or are you pulling his leg?

And how on earth do you plan to trust the guy based on anything he says in an e-mail? Just ask to meet in person, and pay cash, or paypal.

• Members

I would have had the same exact concerns, but I totally and utterly did not get the church part? Is it supposed to be a joke, or are you pulling his leg?

I think he's referring to the fact that a lot of scammers e-mail you under the guise of "greetings in the name of the most high God" or something like that... to try and get you to think they are legit just because they reference religion (so they must be good people, right?).

Archived