B-3 Wheels/Casters

• Members

I'm having no luck in locating a set of four wheels or slip-on casters for a Hammond B-3 organ. Preferably casters that will lock into place once the console is situated. Our church stage has been re-done and is getting more non-traditional use such as mystery dinner theater sets. This makes it important for the stage set-up crews to be able to move the console easily.

I looked into some smaller wheels but that would necessitate drilling into the spindles and they appear to be too thin. I fear the wood would split and don't think it would take the stress of rolling around too much. Four slip-on style wheels would be preferred to a traditional dolly approach.

Any suggestions Outkaster/STG Guy?

• Members

I appreciate the video, but that won't do it. There's already enough whining about the instrument's size (takes no more room than a standard keyboard and stand). Pedals and bench are detached. Have a Korg Trinity Pro on top of the B-3. Contemporary worship band replete with bass, electric and acoustic guitars, electric piano, horns, drums and percussion, four to six singers.

I just need for the crew to be able to wheel it in and out to accomodate whatever special events may be taking place.

• Members

LOL. I got them from a rental company. They are used but I got new straps at Home Depot in case console comes my way.

My local Home Depot just started selling Hammond and Leslie stuff too. It is cool.

• Members

I have a set of organ dollies that I would sell. They look a lot like the photo that was linked to.

They make it easy to roll the organ around, but they are not too attractive. Send me an email if you would like to buy 'em.

• Members

Seems like you need

A "Roll-R-Carry" is gonna be your best option.. they're tried and true, and once you're used to em, can be put on and taken off in no time.

You'll be able to move your hammond (on flat surfaces) quite easily single handed. (always (!!) use 2 ppl, 3 if possible, to move the thing up and down any sort of grade.. )

hope this helps,

mrfugu

• Members

I might take a look at Yoozer's idea. Organ dollies are ok but I was looking for something the moving crew wouldn't have to gripe about. Small increased height is no biggie.

I move game equipment (pool tables, dart boards, bartops, jukeboxes, ec.)from time to time, although I now let the "young and dumb" guys do most of that. Safety is number one and attached wheels wold definitely make a nearly flat grade move a breeze for one person.

I appreciate the responses.

• Members

okay so you have no bench or pedalboard? does this need to be moved outside the building? if so you need organ dollies wether you like it or not.

if it's inside the building you could still build a platform. 3/4" plywood and 2" casters are only going to raise that thing 3 inches, and if you're standing and playing that'll actually work out better ergonomicly.

whatever you do, don't put casters on your legs under any circumstance. structural integrity will be compromised. the weight of the B3 isn't just on the legs, i think it's on the pedalboard rail too but someone who gigs with a B3 can probably confirm or denay that. mine is in the other building right now covered with a plastic sheet.

• Members

We have the bench and pedalboard but they are in storage. I'll take a good look at the unit and see about weight distribution. STG, your suggestion may be the best with the small roller platform. We'll see what they want to do.

I just want the instrument available to be played and not give people excuses to leave it in the hallway or in a storage room. Instrument does not need to be moved outside the facility. There's so much solid state, synth keyboard technology out there that people have forgotten what it's like to deal with a real live solid instrument. They want the suckers to weight 25 pounds and be taken on and off stage in five minutes. Never mind that the sound of the imitators usually sucks, it's convenience that matters to them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Archived