Worth Waiting For??

Kozmo

• Members

I am going to get a new main keyboard soon. I have a Motif-7 Classic which I am strarting to have reliabilty issues with. It may or may not ever be perfect again (not much faith in techs). I Also have a Triton rack (unexpanded) controlled by an X2 (which will be replaced my the Motif). I have a home studio, but lately have been gigging with a classic rock/blues band. The big three (M3, Motif-XS, Fantom-G) are all in contention. What I'm wondering is if the yet unreleased Kurzweil PC3 (76 key) is worth putting off my purchase to add to the mix. I use a lot of layers/splits and cover horns, string, synths as well as a lot of Piano and B3 stuff. I don't want a weighted action because I am likely to play organ on either upper or lower board with a different sound on the remaing keyboard. When I have tryed the K2500 in the past, it struck me as more of a real musical instrument and less of a "copy" of one. Has anyone had a chance to A/B the PC3 (or PC3X) against the other 3? How does it stack up. And, is it worth waiting for?

• Members

The word is that they will begin shipping the PC3x this week. The PC3 sometime later next month. We'll see. If they do ship the PC3x this week it will be in the hands of users next week and I am sure you will see what the pros and cons are from the people who ordered them early. It is likely that they will be praised by the folks who ordered them early, as it is not easy to not justify your purchase. But there are some who will be objective, and have other boards made by the big three to compare it to, like me. I'm a gigging musician, not a studio programmer, so for me the test will be more about it's ability to gig, rather than it's depth of programming capabilities.

If you have waited this long, another couple of weeks may be worth it. This thing may be the next "DX7", or it may be just another contender with the other big three offerings (which I think is likely).

Good luck.

Rick

• Members

Sorry to hear your motif-7 is having problems. Do you use ATA filght cases to transport your keyboard?

I have a Roland Juno-60 that I bought new in 1982 or 1983. It still works just like new. All of my eleven Roland keyboards are still in near perfect condition.

Regarding my newest Roland models, the build quality of the Roland V-Synth and Fantom X8 are excellent.

The Roland Fantom G will be another tank!

Mark

• Members

Thanks, my Motif has had a few issues. During a gig, all the modulation pedal things I had programed quit working. Also, layers quit, reducing me to 1 sound at a time.Turning off and on didn't help. Since then, I have installed the latest operating system, done several resets... Still have some glitches. Right now, with the SCSI cable attached, it will not boot. I disconected the SCSI cable and it will start up. But the sliders seem to konk out at times. I have allways used a hard case for transport. It has seen very little movement until the last six months. So, I will likely limp along until I can get a replacement on the stand, then take my chances with a tech. My last repair took an Ensonix VFX that was pefect except for a dead internal battery, into a fried motherboard. It was replaced after a year of haggling with a VFX with a worn out keybed that had a (you guessed it) a WORN OUT BATTERIE!!! So, to say I am not counting on a perfect repair is an understatment. I still want to keep the Motif 7 (if possible), but I do have be prepared for it going down.

• Members

Do you use ATA filght cases to transport your keyboard?

I have a Roland Juno-60 that I bought new in 1982 or 1983. It still works just like new. All of my eleven Roland keyboards are still in near perfect condition.

New Rolands DO NOT have the build quality of older ones. Talk about the Fantom in 20 years then Ill be excited. I still have my first Roland from 85- gigged to death and still works great so I agree with you there for sure!

Actually I feel better hearing about your yamaha woes... My Triton has been the BIGGEST PIECE OF SH*T EVER. I used to give training on them and came across 3 more that were crap or had bad mother boards. Build quality and longevity are in the toilet nowadays... And I do have a very nice flight case for it- doesn't help. The buttons have a 1000 push lifespan apparently...

I always thought, "maybe the motif would have been better" but I doubt any of these big workstations were meant to hold up on a real tour schedule... At least not for more than a couple years...:mad:

Though still be glad because there is no doubt Korg cuts SERIOUS corners... I have 9 synths from 1974 to 2002 and its just CRAP! Killer synth otherwise though!

• Members

Build quality and longevity are in the toilet nowadays...

Not really. There are reasons current keyboards aren't built as tough as keyboards from years past:

-- the majority of buyers don't want the extra weight

-- the majority of buyers wouldn't want to pay the higher price

$2,166 -- 1988 Cost of Korg M1 (61 keys)

1.7533 -- Inflation (Consumer Price Index) Ratio of 2007 to 1988

$3,797 -- Cost of 1988 Korg M1 in TODAY's Dollars

$2,500 -- Cost of Korg M3-61 today

In today's dollars, the Korg M3-61 costs 34% LESS than the Korg M1.

Would you be willing to pay a 51% price premium on top of currrent keyboard prices to have a sturdier unit?

For example, a Yamaha Motif XS8 costs $3,200. Would you be willing to pay $4,800 for a "super rugged" Motif XS8?

Companies build products they think people want to buy at prices they think people are willing to pay. I personally don't see a huge market for the "super-rugged" keyboard.

• Members

Especially when they come out with a new model every 3 years or so, and expect a lot of people to upgrade.

It would be a different story if a company came out with a really well built board, and made made a commitment to support it for the long run. :poke:

• Members

I've kept my Motif 8 in a flight case for the 6 years I've had it. Recently, I had to have the Keybed replaced (Yamaha covered the cost). Other than that I haven't had a single reliability issue. And I've gigged...a lot.

Conversely, I just received my JP8K in the mail. It was in a studio and I could tell it wasn't kept in very good condition. I'm going to pay out of pocket for a keybed replacement on that and a good contact cleaning. I'm secure that after I put down the money for that, that I will get many years out of it.

I'm very cautious about transporting my gear and keeping it safe. It always ends up being worth it.

Archived