Beginners Keyboard?!

jabuerctu

• Members

I agree with Russ on this one. I am a guitar player myself, and owned a PSR for a while. I sold it and later missed it because it was more like a band in a box for me. I later upgraded the PSR to a MM6. I got 20% discount + $100 rebate. It has been well worth it.

The Motif or Juno G would be great, but not nearly as much fun. (I also have own a Motif as well, but i wouldn't call it a beginners board)

Good luck.

• Members

So scratch my first two suggestions...chances are you want something with built-in speakers.

The Yamaha Home Keyboard Line
would probably work out for you. Make sure you have touch-sensitive keys at least.

Well I wouldn't scrap them, I could imagine upgrading to the Juno D after trying an entry level keyboard! I definetely would like touch sensitive keys though. I'll check out your link. I think Yamaha is probably the best place to start :)

• Members

Looks like the Yamaha PSR-E313 is winning for me at the moment.

I then need to get a good tuition book

Do you want to learn piano or general keyboards?

If you want to learn piano, you can start with entry piano books. If you want to learn more about keyboarding, I'd start with chord charts...chords are more helpful than musical notation when you start playing with bands.

EDIT: you already play guitar. Just figure out which keys are what note on the keyboard and apply your chord knowledge to the keys. IE E major is E, G#, B. C add2 is C,D,E,G....etc.

• Members

Do you want to learn piano or general keyboards?

If you want to learn piano, you can start with entry piano books. If you want to learn more about keyboarding, I'd start with chord charts...chords are more helpful than musical notation when you start playing with bands.

EDIT: you already play guitar. Just figure out which keys are what note on the keyboard and apply your chord knowledge to the keys. IE E major is E, G#, B. C add2 is C,D,E,G....etc.

Well the plan is for me to learn the chords for sure which I would assume it quite straight forward. I think I'll learn some songs initally so probably a bit of both. I think I may struggle with both hands so I'll take it one step at a time.....

Archived