OT: Monitors (the screen kind)

Allerian

• Members

I've been trying to upgrade my monitor and it had become pretty frustrating. Right now I have a Samsung SyncMaster 170n 17" square screen which I run at 1280x1024. Honestly, I love the thing but I'd like a little bigger view for gaming. Tough part is, I want it to be square, not wide. I have tracked down a few candidates, but some of the reviews have left me wondering. One in particular was a Samsung 19" where they guy related that it was a terrible downgrade in performance over his Samsung 17".

To the topic of widescreens, I have actually bought and returned two different Sony monitors. They were both very blurry at all resoloutions compared to my existing one.

Thoughts, tips?

• Members

Yeah, buy a 24". I'm not just trying to ball - my reasoning is as follows:

Max resolution on a 19" panel is going to be 1280 x 1024, which is the same as your 17", so the resolution isn't going to be as sharp.

With a 24", you can do 1920 x 1200, provided your video card can do it.

Check newegg.com for buyer feedback on various models.

• Members

They were both very blurry at all resoloutions compared to my existing one.

Apologies if you know this, but from the statement above, you may not. Two important items:

1) You were running the monitor at it's native resolution, weren't you? If you run a flat panel computer display at ANY resolution other than it's native resolution, it is gonna look like a crap sandwich.

2) You were using a DVI interface with DVI cable, weren't you? That's critical for the higher resolutions. No sense taking a nice high-bandwidth digital signal, converting it to analog, then back to digital. The pixels never seem to line up right.

It seems like everything is going wide-screen. We found a decent 20" at Micro Center. I tend to buy all my computer stuff at newegg.

Get something with high contrast and decent brightness. You're a gamer, so you'll want fast response. I've been pleased with my Acer 24" flat panel. It's not the best flat panel, but it is good enough for the price. We also have a couple Haans G 22" wide screen flat panels. They're great. That's what I use on my "music" mac.

Make sure your video card can support the monitor's native resolution at 60Hz. Anything over 60Hz on LCDs is usually a waste. Some of the 21" normal aspect monitors have an unusual resolution of 1400x1050 that a lot of video cards do not support.

hope this helps.

• Members

We found a decent 20" at Micro Center. I tend to buy all my computer stuff at newegg.

That silly self-contradiction begs an explanation.

I do tend to buy all of my computer stuff at newegg. But with an LCD panel, I want to see it in action first AND I want to be able to return one with fracking stuck pixels. So I shop locally for flat panels. It's too easy to get a crappy display and get stuck with shipping both ways.

Plus, if you lurk around MicroCenter's returns section, you can find flawless items for a good discount. That's how I got this Acer X241W for $240 (including rebate).

• Members

But with an LCD panel, I want to see it in action first AND I want to be able to return one with fracking stuck pixels. So I shop locally for flat panels. It's too easy to get a crappy display and get stuck with shipping both ways.

Good point. One I learned already while buying the other kind of monitors.

Archived