Learning to Piano - where to start for my needs?

LemonLess

• Members

Hello there. I bought a synth semi-recently and am new to piano. I know my notes pretty well, as well as your basic triads, and I can figure out (major) scales...but thats it. I got the synth mostly to add that extra something to my band every once in a while, but were starting to find uses for it for pretty much any song. I have an Adult beginners piano book, but I feel like Im wasting time with it because it focuses on teaching sheet-music based piano. I'm not trying to be able to go buy sheet music and play them, I just want to be able to jam with my synth.

Basically, I want to get to complex jamming (playing in __ key) and chord formations as quick as possible. When I jam I just end up playing triads of __ major scale, and I know I havent even touched the surface of my synths possibilities. Any input would be much appreciated :thu:.

• Members

Knowing your scales and knowing what your synth is capable of are two entirely different things. I know it's boring and seems to have no practical application, but those chord exercises ARE teaching you something. If you really want to be good at improvisation, then you really really need to practice the boring stuff. Major triads is just the start.

Honest.

• Members

Sorry, rephrase: what I am capable of playing on my synth. And I know the triads and scales etc are helpful, and I think thats the basic direction i should be headed. But I dont think practicing sheet music should be my priority, since Im looking to write, not regurgitate. So basically Im asking for suggestions on what to learn, and how to learn it (books, computer programs, etc?).

• Members

I'm kinda in the same position in being an adult beginner at keyboards. I have no desire or intent to jam or play live but do want to be able to play well enough to compose. I think learning chords, inversions, scales, etc. it going to play highly into that....

KAC

• Members

If you're looking to write songs and don't care about being a keyboard virtuoso, just start recording your song parts with your keyboard(s).

Sooner or later you will come across a problem while putting together your song. It could be a physical problem (eg. you came up with a song idea in your head that is beyond your ability to play), or it could be a theoretical problem (you wrote an A section for the song that is cool, and a B section that is cool, but now you're struggling to write the transition between the two), or it could be something else.

It is at the time that you encounter these problems that you will turn to a book/video/Internet/whatever and get the info that you need. That is why peeps here used to post songs (audio only or YouTube vid) and get feedback from other forum members.

I think this will be a more productive and satisfying learning approach for you than the usual educational method of trying to stuff a lot of things into your head and getting bored/frustrated in the process.

• Members

Hello there. I bought a synth semi-recently and am new to piano. I know my notes pretty well, as well as your basic triads, and I can figure out (major) scales...but thats it. I got the synth mostly to add that extra something to my band every once in a while, but were starting to find uses for it for pretty much any song. I have an Adult beginners piano book, but I feel like Im wasting time with it because it focuses on teaching sheet-music based piano. I'm not trying to be able to go buy sheet music and play them, I just want to be able to jam with my synth.

Basically, I want to get to complex jamming (playing in __ key) and chord formations as quick as possible. When I jam I just end up playing triads of __ major scale, and I know I havent even touched the surface of my synths possibilities. Any input would be much appreciated
:thu:

How many years do you have??

Archived