Roland: Help with JV-880 and JV-2080 set-up

bluedawe

• Members

Help with JV-880 and JV-2080 set-up, please.

I've just bought both of those units from eBay, and am puzzled.

Been using 2 x JV-1010s for some years without any hassles.

I cannot get these two new units to respond to channels 9-16 from my sequencer. 1-8 and Channel 10, yes,

I've read the handbooks until my eyes rolled out onto my chin, but I can't see how to make every patch accessible via every channel. Each seems to be accessible only to by one channel.

The JV-1010s default to 16 channels on start-up.

I did a factory reset on the two 'new' mixers as soon as they were powered up.

Why can't my software drive them on 16 different channels, like the JV-1010s (and by the way, like my dear old TG-100)??

I mean like this:

Track 1 -> Cool-Guitar - Channel Assign = 1

Track 2 -> Hot-Guitar - Channel Assign = 2

Track 3 -> Gasp-BassGuitar - Channel Assign = 3

... etc etc similar down to Track/Channel 8

Track 12 -> Fuzz-Guitar - Channel Assign = 12

Track 13 -> Funk-12StringGuitar - Channel Assign = 13

Track 14 -> Smokin'-Guitar - Channel Assign = 14

... etc etc similar down to Track/Channel 16

(Obviously not including Channel 10.)

Okay... if I play back, Channels 9-16 = total silence.

?????

Using Genisoft Overture Version 4.1 as sequencer, and have been doing so since 1996.

Be grateful for any advice. I must NOT be doing something very basic and simple... but what is it?

Stephen Gard

• Members

On the JV-2080, make sure you're in Performance Mode, then press MIDI (F4), switch on Palette mode (F6), and navigate with the arrow keys.

Check that all your 16 parts have their own MIDI channel and have the Rx Switch parameter to ON.

If you did a factory reset, all Performances in the PR-A bank are prefixed "Seq:". These are multi-timbral templates that should respond to MIDI channel 1 to 16 right out of the box.

OTOH, are you sure your sequencer software is not filtering channel 9/11-16 or send these to another MIDI port?

Depending on if you were using your two previous JV-1010 in serial (daisy chained with MIDI thru) or parallel (each has its own MIDI connection)...

Archived