emu mp7

• Members

Deep and fun purple thing. Whaddya wanna do with it?

I suppose the first thing I would do is read the manual. Not as in RTFMA but actually go through the quick start/tutorial section - Instant Gratification - since it explains the pretty spacious layout. Also, learn all the short cut buttons and recognize each screen - that'll make it easier to learn and shoul reduce the chances of accidentally losing a patch that you spent an hour on.

There is a good ongoing thread/faq on Future Producers in the sampler/sequencer section called "Command Station Users Enter". It's the only reason why I still look at Future Producers.

• Members

You have in your hands the very last hardware synth capable of microtonal scales that can be assigned to any MIDI key, so you can have more than 12 tones to the octave. Look up "just intonation" in the index. :)

The multi-track sequencer is really nice, with the 16 knobs assigned to each track!

And you can have a shitload of user-defined arpeggiations going on at the same time. And the MP-7 has 128-tone polyphony.

There's also the Z-plane filters . . .

It's all too much fun! :)

The two guys here who are experts on the command stations are aeon and U&I. You can PM them if you get stuck.

• Members

Its not a bad machine but Im over the sound set. Pretty dated at this point and Im completely done with the EMU synth sound. I just don't like it. Soft synths sound way better these days- more power.

BUT as far as drum machine etc. its really a fun box. If you are hip hop oriented, its got a very famous soundset- but in hip hop where fresh is king, or old school vintage- its already seen its day in the sun.

If you write good music it will serve you well regardless of opinions! Plus its purple! And the expansions got REALLY cheap- EMU blew them out for 60 bucks a set- I bought 2, then sold it! But I had a Virtuoso- the worlds WORST orchestral soundset EVER! Mo Phatt was way more fun and I also added the proteus set. I bought the virtuoso for 20 bucks when Mars music went out of business so I can't really complain!

• Members

Embarassing admission #1 for today:

I found that after I programmed a drum-oriented Pattern, I could easily preview how the same Pattern would sound with different kits.

Unless we find a human drummer, we're using my XL7 for beats at our next show. Its been difficult using it on a couple of songs that have abrupt tempo changes, however - the timing of those changes are dictated by feel - how long the lead vocalist/songwriter/rhythm guitarist wants to stretch out a verse or whatever, or shorten it...

• Members

thanks guys...i was reffering to the sound set mainly and if its only hip hop oriented since i was offered a brand new one...

With the stock ROM, it still a capable non-hip hop sequencer, if a little limited in scope. I've made electronic pop tracks with it and some serviceable rock bass, keys and drums backing tracks.

Add something like a Composer rom and you have a decent all purpose rompler (though I wouldn't buy one just for the sounds). If you can't justify the cost, sell the Mo'Phatt sound set to cover the cost of the the Composer and you're good to go. If you want electronica, swap or add an XL-7 rom.

If you want to drop mad money (and it is kind of spendy), the Protean drums or World roms will give you one of the best drum machines ever.

My suggestion: if the price offered is comparable with what it goes for on E-Bay or Craigslist, buy it, use the current rom until you figured if you like it then upgrade or sell for what you paid.

• Members

well to be honest extra roms are a bit silly pricey for today standards so dont really know if it worths it...btw i was offered this for 350 $....

Did you have anything in mind for the MP-7 or did it's beautiful purple-osity just draw you in?

It's very powerful sequencer groove-box (as a drum sequencer I actually prefer it over the MPC). As a sound source, even if you master it's programming side (which is way way deep) you may find the stock soundset a little limiting. If you like techno/trance/electro whatever, the XL7 may be a better choice.

If you don't think you want to expand on the ROM sets (which is very understandable given the prices of expansions) AND you aren't interested in using it to sequence other sound sources, then it may be just a pretty novelty.

$350 is a good price for the MP7/XL7 (the other two tend to go for more) but not so bragging rights awesome that you won't be able to find one later should you take a pass.

• Members

I have the Mo Phatt, Proteus, ZR-76 and the Protozoa. I think the ZR-76 is one of the nicest ROMs, because of the Coakley piano (best piano you can put into a command station) and the classic Ensoniq electronica. There's also some superb organ.

If I ever buy another command station (and link them up for 256-voice polyphony!) I would get the XL-7, Protean Drums, World, and Vintage Synth ROMs. :)

The nice thing about the command stations is that it's the easiest way to collect a very wide variety of sounds that can play in just intonation.

• Members

If I ever buy another command station (and link them up for 256-voice polyphony!) I would get the XL-7, Protean Drums, World, and Vintage Synth ROMs.
:)

I got a little crazy once and picked up a World ROM. The MP7 with that ROM alone would be an indispensable (and pricey) drum machine IMHO.

• Members

So they cost MORE now? They were all 60 bucks direct from EMU till stock ran out... Man I should have bought a crapload!

Yeah, I was lucky to snag a Protean Drums and Vintage Collection ROM at those clearance prices. I paid quite a bit more for my World Expedition ROM. InstrumentPro.com happened to have a few left in stock. They gave me a free 1yr subscription to Keyboard magazine for taking it off their hands.

Drums ROM - might be dated compared to BFD or whatever, but it had the best acoustic drums of the Proteus 2000 ROMs.

Vintage Collection - Electric piano, organ, and analog synth samples all sounded pretty good for its time.

World Expedition - Strength is ethnic percussion, especially metallophone/gong sounds. Some of the plucked isntrumets are good. The wind instruments are weak.

Generally, these ROMs have samples that may not compare favorably to today's powerhouse sample libraries, but the point of maxing out your Command Station's ROMs, as aeon once put it, is to have as wide variety as possible of sampled waveforms for programming your own sounds with layering, crossfades, etc. IMO, it's pointless to try beating current ROMplers at their own game - better to take advantage of the Emu's unique feature set. And the sequencer will get you going quickly once you get used to it. Very handy for laying down beats, song ideas, etc.

• Members

Generally, these ROMs have samples that may not compare favorably to today's powerhouse sample libraries, but the point of maxing out your Command Station's ROMs, as
aeon
once put it, is to have as wide variety as possible of sampled waveforms for programming your own sounds with layering, crossfades, etc. IMO, it's pointless to try beating current ROMplers at their own game - better to take advantage of the Emu's unique feature set. And the sequencer will get you going quickly once you get used to it. Very handy for laying down beats, song ideas, etc.

Worth posting again! :thu:

Archived