Looking for suggestions please...

Hi folks. :wave:

I have an old Fatar Studio 90 in the studio that has seen better days, and it's time to replace it with something else. Here's my criteria:

88 key, weighted hammer action.

Aftertouch would be nice, but not required.

Onboard sounds would be nice - especially a GOOD acoustic piano sound.

Budget in the $1K to 1.2K range.

I bought my wife a Kurzweil SP88x a couple of years ago, and we both really like it. Looks like Kurzweil has discontinued it and replaced it with the SP2X, which I have not tried, but based on the previous stage piano and the Kurzweil triple-strike piano samples, it's definitely under consideration... but I'm open to other suggestions, and would appreciate everyone's comments.

Thanks! :wave:

• Members

Hi folks.
:wave:

I have an old Fatar Studio 90 in the studio that has seen better days, and it's time to replace it with something else. Here's my criteria:

88 key, weighted hammer action.

Aftertouch would be nice, but not required.

Onboard sounds would be nice - especially a GOOD acoustic piano sound.

Budget in the $1K to 1.2K range.

I bought my wife a Kurzweil SP88x a couple of years ago, and we both really like it. Looks like Kurzweil has discontinued it and replaced it with the SP2X, which I have not tried, but based on the previous stage piano and the Kurzweil triple-strike piano samples, it's definitely under consideration... but I'm open to other suggestions, and would appreciate everyone's comments.

Thanks!
:wave:

I played with the SP2X briefly at NAMM. It's nice. I also like the Yamaha CP-33.

Are you looking at new only, or used too?

I played with the SP2X briefly at NAMM. It's nice. I also like the Yamaha CP-33.

Are you looking at new only, or used too?

I'd prefer new, but if it was a good deal on a CLEAN used unit, I'd probably consider it.

A good piano tone is really important to me. I have various piano patches in various things, but that Kurzweil triple strike seems to work well and I know how to make it sound like I used a real piano on recordings... :o and since I do a reasonable amount of jazz combo type projects, that's pretty important to me. I could use a rack Kurzweil or get some good Gigastudio samples and pair them with a different brand of controller, but then the costs go up beyond what I'd like to pay... unless I go used.

Like I said, I'm open to all suggestions - thanks for the replies! :cool:

• Members

88 key Fusion is something to think about ... You can find them for about $600 ...

The Sweetwater edition has a specially tweaked version of the Holy Grail piano. But it still might not be up to your standards. Still, for $999 new for the 88 weighted keys version you get that tweaked piano and you can just add a piano module later . . . the GEM being the best one around. :)

• Members

If you could stretch it up to 1.6k and look at a Fantom X8...

now that the G-series is coming out, probably the prices will go down - or you can get a clean, used unit on eBay - the "completed listings" have several units at $1,600 - great sounds, and it's expandable with expansion boards.

Other options you could consider:

Roland XV-88

Roland Fantom-S88

Yamaha Motif 8

Yamaha Motif ES8

Yamaha S80

Yamaha S90ES

M-Audio ProKeys 88

Kurzweil K2500 88 keys version

Kurzweil K2600 88 keys version

and probably lots more...

• Members

If you could stretch it up to 1.6k and look at a Fantom X8...

now that the G-series is coming out, probably the prices will go down - or you can get a clean, used unit on eBay - the "completed listings" have several units at $1,600 - great sounds, and it's expandable with expansion boards.

Other options you could consider:

Roland XV-88

Roland Fantom-S88

Yamaha Motif 8

Yamaha Motif ES8

Yamaha S80

Yamaha S90ES

M-Audio ProKeys 88

Kurzweil K2500 88 keys version

Kurzweil K2600 88 keys version

and probably lots more...

I play an XV-88 at church and I didn't like the piano sounds *that* much. It's possible that someone edited them to make them sound like crap (ha ha), but I didn't think the sustain was very long. It's not a *bad* piano, mind you... I just prefer something like my S90ES.

The M-Audio ProKeys 88... I think the midrange of the piano is decent but I didn't really like it across the board. But, it's a decent feel and decent sound for a decent price.

And I'm with you Phil... I prefer buying new.

Archived