What piano was Bill Evans using?

• Members

whatever was there I would imagine... I thnk the idea that jazz people only play certain makes of piano is a recent phenomenon (and not entirely true). I know people like Julian Joseph are classed as Steinway artists which means that Steinway will ensure that a Steinway is available for him anywhere in the world.. however, I've seen him play Yamaha's in recent years (particularly on a hot gig with Billy Cobham)

• Members

Here's an anectode from Kenny Werner's amazing book "Effortless Mastery":

"I'll never forget attending Bill Evans' 50th birthday party. I won't mention any names, but there were more pianists in the room than I can ever remember seeing before. I felt like I was attending a dictator's convention! The pianist who threw the party owned a grand piano. (The piano will also remain nameless.) It was a decent piano, but it sounded bright and metallic, as that particular brand often can. Various young luminaries sat down to play for Bill during the party. They sounded great, and the piano sounded bright and metallic as expected. Then Bill sat down to play, and a miraculous change in the sound took place. Suddenly we were listening to a Steinway B recorded in 1958! The piano seemed to have that dark richness that had become increasingly rare in pianos and even more rare in the touch of young pianists. At one point, he played a duet with another pianist, and the two halves of the piano actually sounded different! If he played the upper register, the piano sounded dark and beautiful there, and bright and chunky on the bottom. When he played the bottom, there was an opposite effect. For me, this was a dramatic example of the inner relationship to sound."

Any guesses on what the "bright and metallic" piano was? I'm thinking Yamaha.

• Members

Here's an anectode from Kenny Werner's amazing book "Effortless Mastery":

"I'll never forget attending Bill Evans' 50th birthday party. I won't mention any names, but there were more pianists in the room than I can ever remember seeing before. I felt like I was attending a dictator's convention! The pianist who threw the party owned a grand piano. (The piano will also remain nameless.) It was a decent piano, but it sounded bright and metallic, as that particular brand often can. Various young luminaries sat down to play for Bill during the party. They sounded great, and the piano sounded bright and metallic as expected. Then Bill sat down to play, and a miraculous change in the sound took place. Suddenly we were listening to a Steinway B recorded in 1958! The piano seemed to have that dark richness that had become increasingly rare in pianos and even more rare in the touch of young pianists. At one point, he played a duet with another pianist, and the two halves of the piano actually sounded different! If he played the upper register, the piano sounded dark and beautiful there, and bright and chunky on the bottom. When he played the bottom, there was an opposite effect. For me, this was a dramatic example of the inner relationship to sound."

Any guesses on what the "bright and metallic" piano was? I'm thinking Yamaha.

Second time this morning that book has been mentioned. I guess I better get it and read it. :)

I think this anecdote really says it all, it's the musician, not the instrument. :)

KAC

• Members

True to an extent. However, I've heard many a 'would be' great recording with MONSTER pianists (Kenny Kirkland etc) absolutely DESTROYED by a pitiful sounding piano.

It's probably fair to say that a master can make any piano sound its best, but no more. Even they can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

• Members

Thank you people for the replies. I myself play Yamaha grand daily , and I know the way one plays matters the most. But still, I want to know exactly what brand piano Bill used most often. It's hard to believe Bill and Keith Jarrett(or Michel Petrucciani...) were using a same instrument.

Thanks.

Archived